So who's growing chillies 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are people growing next year? I did make a list earlier in the year but since then I've found a few older packs of seeds that I will try and germinate, and also bought a few seeds just recently.

so far:
Chilaca
serano
Ring of Fire
Locoto
Manzano

and when I eventually order new veg seeds from premier seeds I have in the basket lemon drop, orange pepperoncini, jalapeno m.

Also ordered far too many tomato varieties, at least the seeds keep well

I’m going to try and over winter:
Aji Lemon,
Early Jalapeño,
Purple Cayenne
Thai Dragon,
Apache
and Chilli de Arbol.

So given my over wintering track record, then I’ll be growing all of the above from seed in 2022!

What are people growing next year? I did make a list earlier in the year but since then I've found a few older packs of seeds that I will try and germinate, and also bought a few seeds just recently.

so far:
Chilaca
serano
Ring of Fire
Locoto
Manzano

and when I eventually order new veg seeds from premier seeds I have in the basket lemon drop, orange pepperoncini, jalapeno m.

That's for the 2022 thread! 🤣

I'll definitely grow Serrano again. I bought some 'Trinity' seed the other week, a fabulously flavourful habanero of around 40k scovilles. Really productive too. That's my only other definite as yet

I've not had great success with chillies, no frosts here but daytime temps rarely above 23 in summer, but the sun is fierce and seem to get a fair amount, but it can be pretty windy.
Is it worth me making mini greenhouses for the chillies to keep the wind off and the temp up, I was considering using hacked keykegs which I can get from local bars.
They are looking less pale in their new planting beds with good soil and plenty of fertiliser.
One plant did over winter left in the old bed on it's own but it looks pretty mangled and no signs of new growth. We are in spring here.

Definitely get some shelter for them - they don't like wind much.
23 is a pretty good temperature, especially if you can get some glass/plastic covering on them...

I've bought a couple of these from b&q to supplement light when starting them off. Seem pretty good value, I don't know if the bulbs are the correct colour. Cool or warm, does it make much difference for seedlings and young plants?

Anyway, ip65 rated and just over £10 each seems like a great deal as they have an additional 20% off lighting at the moment.

https://www.diy.com/departments/col...light-36w-1350lm-l-655mm/3663602762645_BQ.prd

Thanks @VW911 I'll try that and see if they start to thrive.

Always thought a 911 with a VW engine was a 912 ( not many about ).

Assuming west country for cider.
It's the other way round!
A type 2 (Bay Window) campervan, with a Porsche 911 engine - even fewer of these about!

And yes - Somerset.

Yeah I heard they have a long season and that they are supposed to overwinter better than most, so hopefully I can get a decent crop in two years if I don't get one this year. I've got a Locoto from real seeds and a manzano red from tomato Eden to try. Are there any specific types you like?

Yeah I heard they have a long season and that they are supposed to overwinter better than most, so hopefully I can get a decent crop in two years if I don't get one this year. I've got a Locoto from real seeds and a manzano red from tomato Eden to try. Are there any specific types you like?
I've got 'Tropical Orange' which is a really great pepper and a non-descript 'Red Rocoto' which is good. Good luck with yours.

My wife bought these home from work, as leftover stock from the farm shop (they will have been grown in the poly tunnels).
Honestly I just think they look so beautiful 🙂
I had a little bite off the end and it was sweet and not hot at all; so I took another bite and it nearly took my head off!! I was running to the fridge for the milk 🤣

I know it's an impossible question, but has anyone got any idea what these might be... and is it worth extracting the seeds and trying to germinate them??

IMG_6529.JPG

and is it worth extracting the seeds and trying to germinate them??

It's ALWAYS worth extracting the seeds and growing them, just dry them on a windowsill for a week or two then bag them up.

Some of my best chillis have come from fruits bought in Asian food stores, my staple is a "long red" - no idea what variety it is but it's a good balance of size, heat and crop yield. Your chillis look very similar.

just dry them on a windowsill for a week or two then bag them up.
OK I'll give it a go...

could you clarify though (sorry I'm being thick): dry the fruit on a windowsill for a week, then "bag them up" ?? OK I worked it out - thanks athumb..

PS: seeing your location, I grew up in Malvern Link :-)

Last edited:
My wife bought these home from work, as leftover stock from the farm shop (they will have been grown in the poly tunnels).
I had a little bite off the end and it was sweet and not hot at all; so I took another bite and it nearly took my head off!! I was running to the fridge for the milk 🤣

I know it's an impossible question, but has anyone got any idea what these might be... and is it worth extracting the seeds and trying to germinate them??

View attachment 60044
Cayenne?

View attachment 60044
Possibly cayenne. Certainly the look close enough and cayenne certainly fits in with the "aaaargh, my face is on fire, give the the milk!!!" experience you had!

so far:
Chilaca
serano
Ring of Fire
Locoto
Manzano

Definitely Draky because it's a lovely juicy Bell pepper hybrid that you can cut in half and use as a base to grill with goats cheese, sun dried tomato and other Mediterranean veg. Delicious!

I'll do holy peak as well as a hotter variety for sauce and pickles because it crops well down here.

The Aji Limo I did produced a lovely crop of little purple/green waxy hand grenades but unless we get a very hot summer they won't fully mature so I think I'll skip those.

Back