Sodium Percarbonate + STPP

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Reaction score
Hi all, and a Happy New Year!

Have started using 'pure' sodium percarbonate for cleaning my equipment. It works really well, but I find that with our very hard water, it can be a job to rinse off completely. Someone recommended using STPP (sodium tripolyphosphate) as a chelating agent to help combat these problems. Unfortunately I have been unable to find a supplier in the UK who will supply me!

Are there any other chelating agents I can use that are easier to come by, to get the same effect?

Let me get this straight.

1. You are using a chemical that is causing a problem.

2. You want to source a second chemical that will remove the problem caused by the first chemical.

May I ask why you don't just use a chemical that doesn't cause the problem in the first place?

Happy New Year! :thumb:

2. You want to source a second chemical that will remove the problem caused by the first chemical.

May I ask why you don't just use a chemical that doesn't cause the problem in the first place?

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

Started using the 'pure' form as I had been using a normal 'oxi' type cleaner, and I was unsure what else may have been added to th normal type.
The cleaning power of the 'pue' form is good, but it does seem tpo leave a hard to remove residue. Others on here have said that it is a safe cleaner, with a couple remarking on the hard to remove residue, suggesting the STPP as a chelating agent to solve the issue. I use stainless steel throughout my brewing, and again was advised that sodium percarbonate is a good, safe cleaner to use with stainless steel. I am no chemist, so am pretty much dependant on others; advice.

Strangely however I am just about to write a post asking for help, as I am experiencing batch after batch of, I think infected beer; it certainly isn't drinkable! It has a slight TCP/ very sour taste,even after leaving for some months. In fact leaving it seems to make it worse, leading me to think that an infection is getting in somewhere. Now though after cleaning & rinsing, followed by using Star San to sterilize, I am starting to wonder if the problem is the percarbonate after all? Since using first brewclens, to oxi clean, then sodium percarbonate, my spoiled batches have increased from none to a considerable amount! Any and all advice greatfully received!!

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

Started using the 'pure' form as I had been using a normal 'oxi' type cleaner, and I was unsure what else may have been added to the normal type.
The cleaning power of the 'pure' form is good, but it does seem to leave a hard to remove residue. Others on here have said that it is a safe cleaner, with a couple remarking on the hard to remove residue, suggesting the STPP as a chelating agent to solve the issue. I use stainless steel throughout my brewing, and again was advised that sodium percarbonate is a good, safe cleaner to use with stainless steel. I am no chemist, so am pretty much dependant on others for advice.

Strangely however I am just about to write a post asking for help, as I am experiencing batch after batch of, I think infected beer; it certainly isn't drinkable! It has a slight TCP/ very sour taste,even after leaving for some months. In fact leaving it seems to make it worse, leading me to think that an infection is getting in somewhere. Now though after cleaning & rinsing, followed by using Star San to sterilize, I am starting to wonder if the problem is the percarbonate after all? Since using first brewclens, to oxi clean, then sodium percarbonate, my spoiled batches have increased from none to a considerable amount! Any and all advice greatfully received!!

I use this ...

http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/chemipro-oxi-1kg

... and so far I haven't had any infections or bad tasting brews; and sometimes I leave my brews for over a year.

If something is really manky I use Tesco Thin Bleach as a sterilising agent and then rinse it out with fresh water.

I know it sounds daft, but you can "over-sanitise" if what you are using is leaving behind a residual taste.

An extreme (and definitely a no-no) example would be using TCP liquid as a sanitising agent. It would undoubtedly kill all the bacteria that could affect a brew but the taste of TCP would require an awful lot of rinsing to remove it. :doh: :doh:

I use this ...

http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/chemipro-oxi-1kg

... and so far I haven't had any infections or bad tasting brews; and sometimes I leave my brews for over a year.

If something is really manky I use Tesco Thin Bleach as a sterilising agent and then rinse it out with fresh water.

I know it sounds daft, but you can "over-sanitise" if what you are using is leaving behind a residual taste.

An extreme (and definitely a no-no) example would be using TCP liquid as a sanitising agent. It would undoubtedly kill all the bacteria that could affect a brew but the taste of TCP would require an awful lot of rinsing to remove it. :doh: :doh:

Just out of interest Dutto, do you dilute when using bleach?

Back