Sodium Percarbonate where to buy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, does it work with hard water? I believe sodium percarbonate isn't so great in hard water so I have been using chemclean.
My water is ludicrously hard (350ppm HCO3) and touch wood I don't seem to have had any trouble.
I know there's an issue with ChemSan though - it goes cloudy - so I use RO for that.

I can’t detect any scent in the Wilko oxi. They would have to list perfume in the ingredients - it’s illegal not to. Perhaps the smell of oxi solution itself smells a little perfumey to some people. Think it’s quite unpleasant smelling myself.

I use this - Oxi No Rinse Sanclean - 1kg - Get Er Brewed but am open to cheaper alternatives, esp when you include P&P
I think I might give this one a go when I next get a custom AG kit from them. I use the Astonish Oxy stuff from B&M. £3 for 2kg. Lasts ages and have had no adverse affects so far, I think. I use it on my boiler to get the burnt on crud off and strip my keg post for a soak in it. I also give the bottom of my keg a soak in it and clean the inner walls with a soapy sponge. I think the key thing to do is make sure it is thoroughly rinsed off before sanitising. It has worked for me so far but I like the idea of no rinse SP.

GEB state it can be used as a no rinse sanitiser - Any thoughts on that ? Is sodium percarbonate normally a no rinse sanitiser ?

Last edited:
I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that “pure” SP just turns to oxygen when it dries, so potentially. Another one I wouldn’t like to risk too much though.

Last edited:
I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that “pure” SP just turns to oxygen when it dries, so potentially. Another one I wouldn’t like to risk too much though.
When sodium percarbonate Na2H3CO is added to water, it breaks down forming hydrogen peroxide H2O2 which is a powerful oxidiser and inturn breaks down into H2O and O and sodium carbonate Na2CO3. It's the liberated oxygen that's doing the cleaning and sodium percarbonate is cheaper than hydrogen peroxide, more stable and less hazardous

Leave bottles in too long / leave the solutiin in a bucket too long - a percarbonate solution you will get a chalky deposit over the bucket or bottles. Starsan / acid cleaner will remove it but the pH will rise so check if you reuse you starsan.

Sodium percarbonate is the active ingredient in Oxi. The residual Sodium carbonate is food safe, hence no rinse

The thing with those sold as laundry stain removers is the presence of perfumes and bulking agents, which may not be food desirable or safe.

Latest posts

Back