Spent hops and Spent Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewberoza

Reaction score
Was about to make some more home made spent grain granola when I thought I would ask the community what they do with their spent grain and hops?

My mother-in-law breeds parrots. I gave her the spent grain for feed once, but she didn't dry it out the dozy mare, then complained that it smelled.

Good question though, i'll keep an eye on this thread. I does seem a waste to chuck it away if it can be used.

I genuinely saw a chicken trying to cross a road the other day. I cracked a joke... my wife told me I'm not funny...

graysalchemy said:
Pig man comes and collects my grains, hops go in the bin. :thumb:

Pig man eh? Do you brew in extra large quantities?

I presume no airs or graces with pig feed or do you dry it out somewhat first?

Brewberoza said:
graysalchemy said:
Pig man comes and collects my grains, hops go in the bin. :thumb:

Pig man eh? Do you brew in extra large quantities?

I presume no airs or graces with pig feed or do you dry it out somewhat first?

No not much at all but he also collects wood from me and a joinery business next door. He also collects trailer loads of slop from a local vegetarian food processing place, so I doubt it matters if it is dry or not. They evidently enjoy a veggie vindaloo. :whistle: :whistle:

Hops in compost, plus some grain but it does attract rats.
Also use a bit of grain when making bread but it is only a few cupfuls of it, rest in the bin.

Brewberoza said:
Was about to make some more home made spent grain granola .....

Would be interested in how you make this!

I saw a post somewhere suggesting adding the dried spent grains into bread dough. I tried a mouthful of my last spent grains and it didn't taste of anything at all, so I can only imagine it adds texture.

jkp said:
Brewberoza said:
Was about to make some more home made spent grain granola .....

Would be interested in how you make this!

I saw a post somewhere suggesting adding the dried spent grains into bread dough. I tried a mouthful of my last spent grains and it didn't taste of anything at all, so I can only imagine it adds texture.

http://www.breworganic.com/recipes/Cooking-Recipes.html

more recipes for different thing here
http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/cat ... grainchef/

and here
http://draftmag.com/features/don%E2%80% ... hat-grain/

Granola is great because it use a LOT of the spent grain. Goes exceedingly well with rice dream instead of ordinary milk and I use desecrated coconuts in the recipe.

The grain itself is fairly tasteless at this stage because after a good mash most of the sugars will be gone. What remains, however, is full of protein. When dried out full spent grain has a weetabix like feel.

tommidolcetto said:
Gonna try the granola. Any tips on using that recipe Brewberoza?

yeah just make sure it is pretty flat in the oven. That way it will dry out easier.

Oh yeah!
This recipe will work for grains made from porter but the burnt malt tastes do come through every couple of mouthfuls. Learn this the last time after brewing a robust porter. Would be best I think on recipe with little to no dark malts.

I would have thought that spent grain would provide an incredible amount of roughage and not much else. Mine never tastes of anything all the sugar and starch being taken out.

Wow 8-10 hours in the oven... that'll make quite an expensive dog treat presumably?

Can you dry them out first, then make the dog treats, or would they not bind or anything then?

Latest posts

Back