Spillage!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockerhoop

Reaction score
I have just spent the last 3 hours cleaning 5 gallons of my finest IPA (full of expensive hops) of my kitchen floor.
I was about to syphon into my bottling bucket and thought it might be easier to tilt the bucket with something propped under it. I turned my back for a second and away it went off the worktop onto the floor.
I am now going to bed.

Never mind, things can only get better.

One thing the Brewing Shops don't sell which we could all use from time to time is an extra pair of hands (or two).

Keep smiling :)

Nightmare! I am familiar with late night disasters, usually when I am perhaps a little (cough) 'tired'.

In my house SWMBO is not very forgiving of a sticky floor.

Good luck!

Martin

Chin Up Mate I once turned my back on my boiler as i was siphoning the cooled wort into FV and bang boiler on floor 5 hours work wasted and felt bad got upset etc but took the day after to hammer out the dents and fix the ball valve tap and thermosat and to this day im more careful it taught me a lesson but Im still here and as Determined as ever

Really sorry to read the first post and the other horror stories. I am dreading the day I slip on the stairs carrying a FV of wort up to my upstairs brewing cupboard. About 8 brews ago, I was trying hard to avoid the bottling splash that I had been getting on the kitchen floor and I had the bright idea (doooh) of doing it in the bathroom instead. I stood the full bottling bucket on the bathroom sink with the bottling wand over the bath, and sat on the bath side doing the bottling. GREAT - all the drippage went in the bath.... So easy to clean up.

All going well, I was pretty tired (not drunk) and as I came to the last two gallons, I shoved up the bottle to open the little valve in te bottling stick, turned my head for some reason and CRASHHHH - Bottling bucket lying in bath and at least two gallons of good ale swilling about in the bath....... I was pretty mad until I thought about what it would have been like if it had gone the other way and fallen on the floor.

I have this morning rescued 4 pints!
This is the first time with this recipe. This I will call it "Survivor IPA".
My kitchen smells like the proverbial brewery!

grab a pile of charity shop towels ;) i have 5-6 big towels at hand to drop on the floor to absorb any spills quickly and easily.. however a following mop up is also needed as wort leaves the floor sticky when its dried up ;)

Glad you managed to rescue some and like the name!

Not looking forward to the day when I have to learn a similar lesson....

I have just spent the last 3 hours cleaning 5 gallons of my finest IPA (full of expensive hops) of my kitchen floor.

I think we have probably all done something similar at some time, i did the same with a DJ when racking, tilted it then managed to tip it over with the syphon tube, not much of a loss in money but it took ages to clean up all the tiny pieces of broke glass.

i think everyone has to start filling a boil kettle with the drain valve open its a rite of passage ;)

Reminds me of the time as a poor student and I filled up my oil changed Morris 1000 with nice new Duckhams only to discover the drain plug was still in the toolbox and I had a huge pool of new oil lapping about my feet.

Reminds me of the time as a poor student and I filled up my oil changed Morris 1000 with nice new Duckhams only to discover the drain plug was still in the toolbox and I had a huge pool of new oil lapping about my feet.

Oh dear! What with your brewing and your mechanical disasters have you ever thought of a different hobby, knitting is supposed to be relaxing... ...erm, just thought about those needles and the damage they could cause to an eyeball... ...stick with the brewing mate. :)

Being new to this game the worst disaster to befall me is the siphon tube coming out of the demijohn and sloshing a little wine onto the kitchen floor (it's always not enough eyes and hands at siphoning time) so I have been lucky so far but I know it is ALL ahead of me so watch this space! :geek:

i think everyone has to start filling a boil kettle with the drain valve open its a rite of passage ;)
LOL this was my first experience in my first brew in quite a few years. I was siphoning to a barrel in the garage I left the tap open after sterilising and I walked off and left it for about 5 minutes! Quite a few pints onto the concrete. 😈

I left the tap open on a King Keg at uni once (the type where you need pressure to push the beer out). Went on a night out and when I got back, passed out and awoke the next morning my rapid fermentation had covered the carpet in foam. I was scrubbing it for days in fear of losing my security deposit.

Latest posts

Back