Stabilising Wilkos Cabernet Sauvignon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stamford Hillbilly

Reaction score
Hello gents,
I've been busy so no time for chat but most of my brews that I started in early May have finished fermenting. So far I have three types of Lowicz syrup wines, two Robinsons no added sugar punches, one park bench turbo cider & a thirty bottle Cab Sauv kit. I drank my two other TCs - a basic apple juice & a Cherrygood juice & despite being a bit tart, they went down great.
The Cabernet is next up for stabilising/fining/racking & its this that I want to pick your learned brains about... The instructions state to stabilise in the original fermenter then add the finings with some stirring but would it not make more sense to rack it into a second fermenter before doing this? Why would Wilkos want me to stir up all the old yeast into the wine when ultimately the purpose is to clear it? Doesn't make any sense to me. In fact the instructions don't inspire me, especially as they also state that fermentation should have finished in only seven days! It took over three weeks & I'm still getting the occasional bubble. What say you guys?

If you read the eighth post in the thread below you will see i asked the same question, i am 100% convinced there were further posts in the thread so i don't know what has happened.

The answer was something like "follow the instructions to the letter as the kits are designed to be made a certain way" i did and it worked out fine.

I have now started making "The range - make your own" 30 bottle wine kits and they say to finish and clear the wine in the FV and they have been fine so far. :thumb:

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=37539

Chippy_Tea said:
If you read the eighth post in the thread below you will see i asked the same question, i am 100% convinced there were further posts in the thread so i don't know what has happened.

The answer was something like "follow the instructions to the letter as the kits are designed to be made a certain way" i did and it worked out fine.

I have now started making "The range - make your own" 30 bottle wine kits and they say to finish and clear the wine in the FV and they have been fine so far. :thumb:

http://lvps94-136-54-172.vps.webfusion. ... 40&t=37539[/quote
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. I have looked at the thread & you're right - those instructions are better than mine. I will stabilise my wine as per my instructions.
instructions

Thanks Chippy I will. Dunno about us though 'cos it looks like its only you & me on this one. Twenty five souls viewed the post but you're the only dude who bothered to offer up any advice despite me bumping it. Maybe everyone else is down the pub?

:D
I thought you were gonna say 'you are what you drink & I'm (me) a bitter man'.
Anyway, its done. Wine's fined. Hopefully it'll turn out alright but after the week I've had I'm past caring. If it tastes like a tramps urine sample I can always try drowning meself in it... :rofl:

Back