Stainless Steel kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onemanorthree

Reaction score
HI, I'm currently using the mini-keg setup which I'm kind of tied with, hard to get right pour etc.
I do want to move onto the SS Keg setup and I wonder if you guys have and advice/experience in the below type.
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Mini-Keg-Be...968643?hash=item4d5e621783:g:i0UAAOSwYS9ZX9oT
I was speaking to the seller on ebay but he kind of dropped off, so looking to see
a. If they're worth getting, and are decent
b. Where I can get some or what I need to order

Ideally I'g get a regulator with a screw in Co2 connection and a sodastream adapter.

I'm also wondering how they're used. So when I keg the beer, do I need to prime it or does this do all carbonation, as mini kegs need some priming.
If not, do I need a dispensing lid for each keg or just put it on the keg when I'm ready to use it?

TIA

I don't really want to over invest in either space or equipment. I thought that you could only get corny kegs in 19lts
and I really dont want to be having to accommodate that space requirement. I can't cool that size bottle. a 5ltr keg will
fit in my fridge.

I have a mini keg setup from darkfarm (Dark Farm Hops) which has proved to work well. Good thing with these is they all seem to be a standard size so you can pick up additional mini kegs fairly cheaply on ebay.

I tend to second ferment in the keg, and then dispense using 16g CO2 cartridge. It’s not the cheapest option a 16g cartridge will typically dispense a 5L keg with a little left over, and can be purchased for about 80p a cartridge. The handy thing about this is that It will comfortably fit in my fridge.

As to how use it, I add about 20g of caster sugar to the keg then fill with beer. Then leave for about 2 weeks to second ferment. When I want to drink I open and fit the tap and dispenser, and dispense.

Last edited:
I have 10 litre corny kegs which fit in the fridge fairly easily - with a soda stream gas canister also makes it fairly portable.

Attachments

• F98ABCD9-E025-47A8-992C-09DEB76CDC23.jpeg
    F98ABCD9-E025-47A8-992C-09DEB76CDC23.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 115
I have 10 litre corny kegs which fit in the fridge fairly easily - with a soda stream gas canister also makes it fairly portable.
I have a couple of 9.5L corny kegs with a soda stream cylinder as well, while you can fit them in the fridge it doesn’t leave much room for anything else at least for my fridge. I mostly use them for British beers i.e. Mild or Bitter which for three quarters of the year are absolutely fine unrefrigerated, basically used like a pressure barrel. I tend to use mini kegs or bottles for beer that is better served cold or in the summer months for my Miles, Bitters etc.

Yeah, I've spoken to the guy now and am getting what I think is a decent deal.

2x 5L Mini Kegs
2x double ball lock pillared Spears with riser hose.
One self closing tap with plastic ball lock
One mini regulator for sodastream and mini cartridges with gas line and ball lock.
Velcro keg band

Would you upgrade any of this stuff?
Do I need to worry about the psi of the regulator? I think it's a 30psi.

@obscure

So when you open your keg, you mean unscrew the lid and fit the double ball lock thing?
938D3CAD-9ED8-471C-B5BF-EB3A8D1F75C7.jpeg
Thought a photo would be as easiest I use pressure relief caps, though I suspect it’s not really necessary. I simply unscrew before use and fit the tap. Effectively using it like a giant bottle.

You could in theory fit the dispenser From the start however I have 10 mini kegs of various sizes and buying ten separate tap units would be expensive.

I have a couple of 9.5L corny kegs with a soda stream cylinder as well, while you can fit them in the fridge it doesn’t leave much room for anything else at least for my fridge. I mostly use them for British beers i.e. Mild or Bitter which for three quarters of the year are absolutely fine unrefrigerated, basically used like a pressure barrel. I tend to use mini kegs or bottles for beer that is better served cold or in the summer months for my Miles, Bitters etc.
Yeah - To be fair I have got a dedicated beer fridge in the utility room

I normally dispense at 5-15PSI so 30PSI so be fine for the beer I drink. I do not force carb (just prime with sugar) so cannot say if this would present an issue of you where trying to force carb.

View attachment 25358
Thought a photo would be as easiest I use pressure relief caps, though I suspect it’s not really necessary. I simply unscrew before use and fit the tap. Effectively using it like a giant bottle.

You could in theory fit the dispenser From the start however I have 10 mini kegs of various sizes and buying ten separate tap units would be expensive.
I hasn’t seen the caps with built-in PRVs before - they look great. I just tried to find some via google but can’t seem to find any. Do you mind sharing where you sourced them from?

I hasn’t seen the caps with built-in PRVs before - they look great. I just tried to find some via google but can’t seem to find any. Do you mind sharing where you sourced them from?
The ones I have I bought from Dark Farm who sadly no longer seem to have them listed may be worth contacting them directly. Search wise if you look for mini keg pressure lids it does bring up some results. However I would be wary of some of the cheaper ones from China I bought a couple a while back which don’t seem to give a proper seal, it’s a bit of a minefield unfortunately.

The ones I have I bought from Dark Farm who sadly no longer seem to have them listed may be worth contacting them directly. Search wise if you look for mini keg pressure lids it does bring up some results. However I would be wary of some of the cheaper ones from China I bought a couple a while back which don’t seem to give a proper seal, it’s a bit of a minefield unfortunately.
Thanks Obscure - I’ll let you know if I find a reputable dealer who has any in stock

I brought three from eBay also three spires and two mini regs I guess cost me around £200, I have not had any problems with any of the kit which originally all came from China but I sourced from various Chinese UK based sellers. I have stated before I bottle everything and then decant into kegs as and when I want the beer. Although I was told that I was risking serious infection by doing this I have not had any problems in two years. It gives me the total flexibility to decide what brew I want and when, very happy with my set up. Obviously cleaning and sterilisation is very important but other than that no issues!

I brought three from eBay also three spires and two mini regs I guess cost me around £200, I have not had any problems with any of the kit which originally all came from China but I sourced from various Chinese UK based sellers. I have stated before I bottle everything and then decant into kegs as and when I want the beer. Although I was told that I was risking serious infection by doing this I have not had any problems in two years. It gives me the total flexibility to decide what brew I want and when, very happy with my set up. Obviously cleaning and sterilisation is very important but other than that no issues!

I've maybe picked you up wrong, but you bottle your beer and then pour it into kegs?

I've maybe picked you up wrong, but you bottle your beer and then pour it into kegs?
Yes that’s right, I condition everything in bottles and then keg 10 at a time, no sediment and pour at 5psi, currently have Norfolk Nog on the go, going through the keg makes a massive difference nice creamy head

Latest posts

Back