stalled sweet showmead

Discussion in 'Coffee, Kombucha & Mead Forum' started by GerritT, Nov 21, 2017.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Nov 21, 2017 #1

GerritT

GerritT

GerritT

Regular. Supporting Member

Okay, so I have a stalled sweet showmead on D47, still very unclear at 2 months and not as much sediment as the (very clear) demisweet next to it. Already gave it a good sanitised stir, added a teaspoon of nutrients and it started to foam juuust a bit so I'll leave it for a week.
    Thing is: what to do now?
    Either it worked and it chugs along to 1020.
    Or it didn't work and I can up the temperature a bit, or pitch 1116 or 1118, with the risk of making it too dry.
    Or I could wait whatever happens in secondary (transfering as per schedule next weekend). Maybe it Frankensteins back up again.
    OR

Can I use it as a base for Sbiten? The russian honeybased winterdrink? Anyone ever done that before?

2. Nov 21, 2017 #2

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

If you’re worried about 1118 taking it too dry, what about running off some into a growler or a large glass bottle and adding some 1118 to that, cover it in a piece of foil so it doesn’t explode. Then if that does dry it right out you can blend back into the mother batch to the right sweetness

3. Nov 21, 2017 #3

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Regular.

What was your OG? I have made a mead before that finished at 1045. I was horrified but it was really nice. I used 2kg of honey in that and i did repitch but hardly made a difference. My preference now is to ferment it dry at around 14/15% then sweeten up with more honey

4. Nov 21, 2017 #4

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Interesting @beercat. I’ve got some commercial mead which I found awfully sickly sweet. I took a gravity reading and it is 1.030. I’m liking mine at around 1.015 maximum.

GerritT likes this.
  5. Nov 23, 2017 #5

GerritT

GerritT

GerritT

OG=1116. A 4 liter batch of water, honey, nutrient and yeast.
    1045 isn't too sweet? ABV would be 9%. Hm, it wouldn't be a problem if only it would clear up.

6. Nov 23, 2017 #6

GerritT

GerritT

GerritT

That's what I was afraid of: it's very sweet now but I can't get a proper taste just from licking the racking cane used as a stirring rod :lol:
    Time I did some proper gravity reading then. This weekend, not earlier.

7. Nov 23, 2017 #7

BeerCat

BeerCat

BeerCat

Regular.

1045 is very sweet but its not so bad when backed up by loads of alcohol. If its too sweet for you brew another batch dry and blend it. All commercial mead i have tried (Polish) was very sweet by the way.
    Has anyone tried using mead in cocktails? I reckon mixed with spirits would be ace.

8. Nov 26, 2017 #8

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

AdeDunn

Maybe treat some sourer fruit (raspberries, blackberries, that sort of thing) with pectinaze, and add it in to secondary? It might trigger a second ferment, but also the sourness from the fruit should hopefully offset the sweetness for you.

GerritT likes this.
  9. Nov 26, 2017 #9

GerritT

GerritT

GerritT

My first mead was sickeningly sweet too, threw the batch into tertiary with champagne yeast and either cherries or cranberries. That was around July, haven't checked on them since bottling in around August :lol:

But these meads are showmeads, I'd hate to mess them up again. Just racked them: the semi-sweet is doing okay, very clear, the sweet one is still hazy.

20170727_150910_HDR.jpg

20170727_135715_HDR.jpg