Sterilisation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broomie14

Reaction score
I know that things need to be sterilised before use when is it best to do the bottles because i dont want to ruin it at the final stage. TIA

All depends on what your using really, if using a bleach based sanitiser such as bleach or vwp?wvp? then you want to sanitise as close to bottling as you can AND rinse at least 3x..
without a lot of rinsing you run the risk of a tcp taint to the brew.

if using a degrading no rinse sanitiser such as videne or other idophors again sanitise as close to bottling as possible,

However if using a persistent no rinse sanitiser its feasible to sanitise in advance and keep in preparation for bottling, swing tops are great for this but you can also find plastic and silicone temporary bottle caps to keep the bottles closed in readiness. a folded over tin foil cap also works ;)

there is a BIG difference between sterilisation (something we cant always do at home) and sanitation, to sterilise you generally need temps in excess of 135c for 15 minutes or longer in an autoclave (pressure cookers that hold 15psi can also work..) while sanitation is more of a 99% effective process, and of course both require a good clean in advance..

Starsan and its copies are the most widley used no rinse sanitisers but these are not very effective against wild yeast, however as we play the numbers game with yeast pitching a population in the billions, the odd wild yeast or 20 in a brew never get a chance to have any impact as they soon get out eaten by the selected strain you have pitched.

Being a goody goody:grin: i always,always,always make sure all my bottles are clean and dry before i store them.
Bearing in mind my brews are at most 10 litres, i pop my bottles into the sink along with required amount of brewclense (from Wilko which i know isn't the cheapest) for 15 minutes,rinse out and drain for 10 minutes before i bottle up.I sometimes rinse out,again in the sink with milton,rinsing out before the above step,not always however.
So far not had any problems:pray::lol:

I rinse immediately after use, then dishwasher, then leave them to dry, then store them closed.
Upon activation: rinse again (hot water), then sanitise. All of them flip-tops.

The brown bottles have the disadvantage that they're not really transparent, unlike the colourless bottles.

You will probably have a few other odds and ends that need cleaning/sanitizing as well as the bottles, syphon/bottle wand/tubing etc prior to filling so it's just as easy to do it all at once. If I'm doing a 40pt batch i will on occasion wash half the bottles the day before and the rest on bottling day to ease the boredom a bit, all get sanitized at the same time.

Il be using clear bottles and will have to cap them so il just leave it till the day off bottling the other stuff id do just before i use them. I just inow something will go wrong and just trying to catch them all out before i start

Latest posts

Back