Sterilisation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moth

Reaction score
I see on you tube alot of people using a product for sterilisation, that you don't have to rinse , which one is the best and available in the UK , cheers

It’s Starsan you are probably thinking of. I haven’t tried it personally. I’m not sure if it’s more expensive, just haven’t seen the need to use anything else really.

So it’s not suitable for these copper wort chillers then?

Sorry i cannot answer your question as i have never used it i use Milton tablets but i know many brewers do use Starsan and Chemsan so i am sure one will advise soon.

My problem is that I still haven’t settled on which system to buy. So something like that is valuable information for me. Lots of people use it, so I would look at it at some point.
Down to two systems now.

When you say copper wort chillers do you mean an immersion chiller? Not usually any need to use a sanitiser because you can put into the kettle for the last 15 mins of the boil and thats the sanitising done. I have a stainless version and it just needs a rinse off after use.

Hi all sorry to hijack this thread but it is kind of related !
I recently inadvertently left a couple of metres of what I think was cheap PVC syphon tube in the bottom of a bucket containing Chemsan for about 2 weeks only to find the tube had gone cloudy and appeared to be covered inside and out with an opaque cloudy film. Has anyone else experienced this problem ?

I have found the same with Starsan if left in a long time you can get a slimy cloudy residue which does just rinse off

Latest posts

Back