sterilising solution which one ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started using SanStar after the Mrs got me a bottle for christmas and also a bottle cleaner. I must say its one of the best things I have to help with brewing (on par with the bottling stick)

Bottled my Christmas 2012 brew last sunday and it was so easy and saved alot of time.

Shout to SE10PAT for giving me the heads up on this one :cheers:

The Goatreich said:
Fair enough, I guess with time and experience you'd learn how much you needed for your average session and would only mix that amount up.

I didnt know you keep it if im honest, but with the amount you use to clean 40 bottles and the size of the bottle it comes in, I can see it lasting years as you dont need to use much to mix up the solution.

I mix mine up with RO water from the local aquarium supplies shop (starsan doesn't mix well with highly alkaline water) and it lasts ages in a spray bottle. If it starts to go cloudy I tip it away but I can reuse it several times before this happens.

Just a thought on the distilled water front. Condenser boiler condensate should have little or no salts and is free, my boiler produces loads of the stuff. Not sure if there will be any combustion chamber nasties in there though that could make it unsuitbale for Star san etc? Anybody know :hmm:

Edit good old wikipedia reckons its slightly acidic - which I believe is good if I have read the reports on Starsan correctly.

Folks,

The condensate from your boiler is very acidic, it contains a range of acids from the combustion process. I have seen some heat exchangers literally rot away in very short time. Ideal Isar boilers seem particularly prone.

Rather than acid rain, we have moved the acid to the drains ! If you have cast iron components in your drainage system they will slowly dissolve.

The bacterial species in drains are now changing to reflect the reducing pH as a result of condensing boilers and it is starting to become a pollution issue at the sewage works. Moves are afoot to use buffers in the condensate waste trap to reduce the problem. These will need to be changed at annual service.

Hope that helps and informs.

Colonel P

Should work with Starsan then, although the dilution ratio may need to alter, as the product will be based on dilution with a ph neutral water.

Colonel Porter said:
Folks,

The condensate from your boiler is very acidic, it contains a range of acids from the combustion process. I have seen some heat exchangers literally rot away in very short time. Ideal Isar boilers seem particularly prone.

Rather than acid rain, we have moved the acid to the drains ! If you have cast iron components in your drainage system they will slowly dissolve.

The bacterial species in drains are now changing to reflect the reducing pH as a result of condensing boilers and it is starting to become a pollution issue at the sewage works. Moves are afoot to use buffers in the condensate waste trap to reduce the problem. These will need to be changed at annual service.

Hope that helps and informs.

Colonel P

Cheers Colonel - probably not that suitable unless the acids are relatively harmless not toxic too. I guess condensate from pub chillers etc may be OK.
Cheers
NB

Deionised water from Halfords Its Pennies!!! :roll:

There is saving money and then tehre is going too far :nono:

Starsan was out of stock when I did my order the other day, so I'm going to try Tesco pharmacy for Videne this lunchtime. not tried either before and I'm looking forward to the no rinse solution!

Am I right in saying people use Oxy fabric cleaner for the cleaning solution? I spotted it in the supermarket for £1 the other day, in a pot about 3 times as big as a £2 pot of VWP.

I tend to make up 1l of starsan at a time 500ml goes in the squirty bottle 500ml goes in the FV gets sloshed around then get poured in to at least one cornie to sanitise that which then gets used to sanitise what ever else I need on a brew day. I have had my small bottle for 6months ~ 10 brews and its about 1/5th empty. Some people seem to get annoyed at the foam (esp when doing cornies), but at least you know that its reaching (and sticking) to the parts others may not touch or be in contact for too long.

Latest posts

Back