Strange facts.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This in itself doesn't preclude time travel. I believe that many of the proposed, theoretically possible methods have a fundamental limitation in that you couldn't travel back to any point before the "machine" was built, which would explain why we haven't yet had a visitor from the future.
Assuming that is the case, and one was invented last year, it begs the question would anyone have built it giving an option to come back to 2020 at any time in the future? That said, if that were to happen, I would imagine there would be plenty of things done differently.

One of the fundamental principles we currently understand to be true is that matter cannot be created or destroyed.

If you were to travel back in time 10 minutes there would be two of you (and the machine). This would introduce more matter than currently exists and break this fundamental principle.

Maybe, the moment you succeed your successful self and the machine instantaneously cease to exist - bringing you right back where you were having “failed”.

Now if you’re successful self created an alternate reality, as some scientists have postured, there may be a way forward but we would never know about it. 🤷‍♂️

Or maybe the moving if that matter would be part of the time travel process. Let me explain.

There are more humans now than ten years ago. But the same amount of matter. That is because 'stuff' is consumed / used to make those humans.

In a time travel scenario, a humans worth of 'stuff' might need to be swapped from Time A to Time B to allow a human to move the other way simultaneously?

Or maybe the moving if that matter would be part of the time travel process. Let me explain.

There are more humans now than ten years ago. But the same amount of matter. That is because 'stuff' is consumed / used to make those humans.

In a time travel scenario, a humans worth of 'stuff' might need to be swapped from Time A to Time B to allow a human to move the other way simultaneously?

Freaky - but quantum physics might allow it🤯

Assuming that is the case, and one was invented last year, it begs the question would anyone have built it giving an option to come back to 2020 at any time in the future?
Sort of but it wouldn't really be programmable, in that you can't just put a specific time and date in and away you go. One of the more popular proposals for backwards time travel was given by Kip Thorne (who was the science advisor for the film Interstellar) back in the 80s:

If wormholes exist, and if we could keep them open while matter travelled through, and if we could manipulate the openings (there's a lot of big "if"s in there but theoretically possible) then one mouth of a wormhole could be accelerated to near light speed away from earth and then brought back again and it would have experienced a time dilation.

If you then travelled through the 'older' mouth you would exit the 'younger' mouth some specific time earlier, depending on the degree of time dilation. You could keep going through older to younger in a loop, to go further and further back, but eventually you'd reach a point before the younger mouth had been accelerated and so you couldn't go any further back, you'd just exit at the same time you entered.
That said, if that were to happen, I would imagine there would be plenty of things done differently.
Maybe not, see below...
One of the fundamental principles we currently understand to be true is that matter cannot be created or destroyed
I don't think this principle is violated, I believe most physicists would subscribe to the "self-consistent universe" proposed by Novikov, whereby the past can't be changed, and so a time traveller was already there in the past even before he travelled back from the future :tinhat: Of course this opens up further problems regarding free will or the other option of the many-worlds/parallel universe theory :?:

If time travel were possible I only need to be able to go back a couple of months so when I fancy a beer I haven’t got I could go and brew it, then come back and pour a perfectly conditioned ale of my fancy!

Also, if we’re having an impromptu BBQ I could pop into yesterday on the way back for a few bits to go on the barbie.

One of the fundamental principles we currently understand to be true is that matter cannot be created or destroyed.

If you were to travel back in time 10 minutes there would be two of you (and the machine). This would introduce more matter than currently exists and break this fundamental principle.

Maybe, the moment you succeed your successful self and the machine instantaneously cease to exist - bringing you right back where you were having “failed”.

Now if you’re successful self created an alternate reality, as some scientists have postured, there may be a way forward but we would never know about it. 🤷‍♂️
We think of 3 aspects of time: the past the present and the future. The past is that which no longer exists, the present exists and the future has yet to come into existence. The rate of passage of time is not even, it depends on velocity through space and the density of space (so I understand from a certain S Hawking) but there is no indication that the rate of passage of time can be negative. Proximity to a dense object, I think Hawkins said, increases the perceived rate of passage of time such that if it were possible to stand at the event horizon of a black hole, we would see all events in time simultaneously. But I don't think he intended that to include past time events.
Strange fact:
Time and space "curve" around a dense object and this is important because we all know that the Earth is flat, but as there are so many infinitely dense (ie. "thick") people on Earth, space curves around them and gives us the appearance that it's round.

I’ve just got back from 2029 and while there I took a look at the Brexit threads (where they’re all still whining) but Foxy is now Labour Prime Minister and Northern Brewer is leader of the opposition. Who’d have thought it possible! We also have a forum for religious debate which is remarkably unmoderated and entirely civil.

I’ve just got back from 2029 and while there I took a look at the Brexit threads (where they’re all still whining) but Foxy is now Labour Prime Minister and Northern Brewer is leader of the opposition. Who’d have thought it possible! We also have a forum for religious debate which is remarkably unmoderated and entirely civil.

I believed you all the way until you claimed that religious debate was civil. At that point I knew for certain you were lying through your teeth! 😂

Back