Strange facts.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 2007, Scotland spent £125,000 devising a new national slogan. The winning entry was: “Welcome to Scotland”.

As a truck driver I often wondered about this (teehee, not). But I always found this a strange fact.

I don't know why anyone would want to do this but ... If you sit a parrot on a perch in the middle of an artic trailer (semi for our colonists athumb..), put the trailer on a weighbridge, and weigh the trailer with the bird on the perch, then weigh it as the bird flies round inside the trailer; the weight of the trailer goes up and down as the bird flaps its wings.

Why this should be a strange fact I've no idea. Why anyone would want to have a perch in a trailer I've no idea (none of my trailers ever had perches in them!) and why you would want to transport a parrot around the country (un-caged). And furthermore why any university would want to spend perfectly good money on researching the weight of parrots in artic trailers, I still have no idea. But apparently it's true. They even devised a special cage to imitate the artic trailer! This is worse than Walt with the Toe-Back-Oh.

As a truck driver I often wondered about this (teehee, not). But I always found this a strange fact.

I don't know why anyone would want to do this but ... If you sit a parrot on a perch in the middle of an artic trailer (semi for our colonists athumb..), put the trailer on a weighbridge, and weigh the trailer with the bird on the perch, then weigh it as the bird flies round inside the trailer; the weight of the trailer goes up and down as the bird flaps its wings.

Why this should be a strange fact I've no idea. Why anyone would want to have a perch in a trailer I've no idea (none of my trailers ever had perches in them!) and why you would want to transport a parrot around the country (un-caged). And furthermore why any university would want to spend perfectly good money on researching the weight of parrots in artic trailers, I still have no idea. But apparently it's true. They even devised a special cage to imitate the artic trailer! This is worse than Walt with the Toe-Back-Oh.
What's even stranger is that they've developed a weighing scale sensitive enough to detect the infinitesimally small change in weight compared with the mass of the trailer. 🐦

We know for sure it will never be possible to travel back in time. If it were to be, we would have people here now from the future.
True, Time is not a dimension, it's the human experience of a process which is not a constant but whose rate varies depending on gravitational force and speed of motion. There's only one direction of travel.
The answer is drink more beer and/or read Carlo Rovelli's books on the topic! :beer1:

Now we’ve gone full science mode, here’s something that you might find interesting if you’ve not already seen it.

Bear with it, it’s under 10 minutes and you don’t need to be a physicist to follow along with Jim’s explanation.

The twist comes at 6:50 mins.

Now we’ve gone full science mode, here’s something that you might find interesting if you’ve not already seen it.

Bear with it, it’s under 10 minutes and you don’t need to be a physicist to follow along with Jim’s explanation.

The twist comes at 6:50 mins.

The double-slit experiment is one of the first things that inflamed my interest in physics, amazing stuff athumb..

Strange fact:

A teaspoon of matter from a black hole has a mass of about 2 billion metric tonnes.

Quantum Entanglement ... what a great name for a beer!

In the Philippines, McDonald’s serves spaghetti

The pasta comes with a beef tomato sauce and a piece of “McDo” fried chicken.

1612547617334.png

An estimated 50% of all gold ever mined on Earth came from a single plateau in South Africa: Witwatersrand.

Tea has more caffeine in it than coffee.

But pound for pound, it takes more coffee beans to make a coffee, than tea leaves to make a tea. Which is why you get a bigger caffeine kick from coffee than you do from tea, despite it being less potent.

The term Chinese Whispers was coined because Chinese folks can't whisper in Chinese and be understood. They need to vocalise the intonations in their speech in order for the intended meaning to be communicated (rising, decending, high-flat, low-flat, decending-then-rising).

I discovered this when a Chinese colleague was stood next to me refusing to whisper while on the phone, in a lift.

Last edited:
Back