Strange film on FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerbrews

Regular.
Reaction score
Made a Brewuk Extract Mosaic kit and after initial fermentation, moved to second FV with a view to allowing it to settle out prior to bottlling.
However it has now developed a strange film on the top, which looks kind of grainy and creamy coloured (see attached pic). It tastes a bit "metallic"
Have I done something or is it infected?
I was really looking forward to it as did a mini one previously.
Any suggestions gratefully accepted

DSC_0979.jpg

Looks like a pellicle to me. It could be top fermenting yeast but if it is then you've probably moved it to secondary too early.

How long was it in primary before you moved it to secondary? And had it reached final gravity (or close to)? What is the gravity currently?

I would leave a few days longer. If it's yeast then it will sink when all the sugars are used up and the beer will clear up.

Id says similarly to Darren it may be Pellicle. However if it tastes fine you can still bottle it. Just rack from below and leave it behind in the FV. Ive done that before

Have a taste when you test the SG, if it's infected it should be noticeable. It's hard to see from your pic but it does look like an infection I'm afraid. If it has a tangy, fruity sourness it might turn out nice with time but if it's vinegar then chuck it.

Latest posts

Back