Damn! Serious problems with all 3 brews..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe this. A fourth brew now seems to have the same issue. This one is a John Bull Traditional English Ale kit. I was planning on leaving it a while yet but I had to know and, whilst not as bad because it's younger than the others, that same familiar aftertaste is definitely there.

Obviously you want to pin down what is causing the problem but you might also be able to save this brew. You could try campden tablets. I've never used them myself before but I think I'm going to chuck a couple in my mild to try to nuke the colony of mold I have floating on the top

Thanks for the suggestion MQ but it wouldn't work as even my latest brews are already bottled. The most recent is now five weeks conditioned.
Do campden tabs kill infections? I thought they were just to neutralize chloramines in tap water. As always I'm happy to be corrected..

I just hope that sucking was the cause of this so it can be avoided henceforth.

EDIT:
I just realized what you said. You've never used campden tabs before? Do you usually use tap water to brew? I thought in London that was an absolute no-no due to the chlorination..

BT, on your next brew clean everything really well before sanitising (as we already discussed - you can't sanitise grime etc) AND find a better way of starting your syphon. Cover all your bases and leave nothing to chance.

BT, if it happens again you might as well open a chemical weapons factory. :D

Thanks for the suggestion MQ but it wouldn't work as even my latest brews are already bottled. The most recent is now five weeks conditioned.
Do campden tabs kill infections? I thought they were just to neutralize chloramines in tap water. As always I'm happy to be corrected..

I just hope that sucking was the cause of this so it can be avoided henceforth.

EDIT:
I just realized what you said. You've never used campden tabs before? Do you usually use tap water to brew? I thought in London that was an absolute no-no due to the chlorination..

Ahh, I thought brew four was still in the FV

I filter my water using a brita jug to dechlorinate.

Frow what I have read when googling, campden tablets kill bacteria/wild yeast/microbes as well as dechlorinate water.

Perhaps for brew five you might try campden tablets before bottling as well as all the belt and braces cleaning your going to do. The OP in the below thread seems to add campden tablets 'as standard' just before bottling, although I've never personally read of anyone else doing this

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51669

Latest posts

Back