Strawberry and raspberry cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchy

Reaction score
As it is sunday and I had a few spare minutes I decided to put a brew on.

Having been successful with my turbo cider I decided to try a strawberry and raspberry cider.

Recipe :
- 2l strawberry and raspberry juice
- 2.5l of apple juice
- wine tanin
- young's dry yeast

Last time I had a hard time with the wine tanin so I decided to disolve it in some apple juice before.
Well I tried. It only gave a couple of clumps.
How do you proceed yourself?

Also I'm a bit worried as while moving the demijohn a tiny bit of water dropped from the airlock.

Pic of the juices:

frenchy said:
Last time I had a hard time with the wine tanin so I decide to disolve it in some apple juice before.

Ive found the yeast action eventually gets everywhere and gets it all mixed in, but lately I've taken to sticking as much of the dry ingredients as I can in first, seem to get a bit less clumping.

Racked it into a clean DJ last week.
Had a quick sip and it is promising.
I will probably bottle it in 2 weeks time.

Bottled that one yesterday with 33 grams of sugar and 8 grams of Stevia.
I will let you know how it tastes :)

frenchy said:
Last time I had a hard time with the wine tanin so I decided to disolve it in some apple juice before.
Mix the tannin with a couple of spoon fulls of sugar, then the tannin doesn't clump together.

I've had clumps before the ferment gets going, but never any when it's done. So I don't worry about it much.

I've tried this one over Christmas and it wasn't great.
Yeasty taste and too sweet.
I've tried it again on Friday and it has improved greatly.
The yeast has very well flocculated so you can't taste it anymore.
And the sweetness is now at a very decent level.
The bottom lime is that Turbo Ciders need a lot of time before being ready to drink.

I usually put a quarter teaspoon of Epsom or Andrew's salts in all of my wine, this retards the clumping of yeasts and other additives and also the properties these salts gives the fermentation a good boost.

Back