Stuck ferment, or old kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyuptm

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, happy Humpday!
Found a couple of out of date Festival Summer Glory kits in the back of a cupboard couple weeks ago, so I knocked'em up, without the elderflower-cant stand the flavour- and started ferment with new Wilko yeast.
Then went away for work, left'em bubbling away at 19°. Got home Monday, checked the gravity and they both seem to be stuck at 1020. Had a taste, and it's ok but not great- bit of a burnt taste. Should I continue with the Dry hop or give up as a bad job?

I've had Festival kits (IPA) take 3 weeks to hit fg..try increasing the temp if you can. What is the suggested fg?
1012-1010, so a bit to go... Temp now up to 21, may take a while in this weather!! Thanks both.

I seem to have joined the Raja's Reward club as mine seems to have stoped at 1012. I did add a wee bit of extra sugar (750g) OG 1053 at the start and it burbled away quite happily then pretty much stopped. Given that it's only been going 9 days I gave it a bloody good stir and that seemed to restart it but had a look this morning and it's pretty devoid of life. Would it be practical to add a wee bit of yeast nutrient or is this the road to ruin?

Do you remember what size yeast packet came with the kit? Older kits used to have smaller yeast packets 6/7g rather than the standard 11/12g, many of us concluded that was the reason kits were sticking at 1020: 6/7g of yeast isn't really enough for a 40 pint kit. Or it could be that the yeast is just old, the kit itself should be fine.

Not much you can do now, you'll see various suggestions for re-starting a ferment if you do a search but in my experience they rarely work as most of the fermentables have already been used up, even adding new yeast won't help as there's little sugar left to work with. Dry hop and put it down to experience.

I think I can only agree with you. I'm sure it was a 12g packet. I'll leave it a couple of days and retest but it does show signs of clearing now.

I think 1.012 is good for this kit after only 9 days. Mine took 3 weeks. I'd give it at least 2 weeks. I found it slow to carbonate but eventually turned out OK albeit unremarkable.

Latest posts

Back