Stuck fermentation?more non starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Dub

Reaction score
Morning

Got 10 litres of porter in the fermenter with nottingham yeast and nothing happened for over 24 hours so chucked in another packet of nottingham and still nothing happened :wha:

Decided to blitz it with the blender attachment (sterilised) and fingers crossed.

Will the large amount of yeast cause any flavour problems if it eventually gets going?

This is the first time its happened and i dont think i have done anything different.

Dodgy batch of yeast? :hmm:

Cheers

It could be, is the temperature within range 18-24c? was it well aerated before hand?

If the wort temp isnt above 21c it will take over 24 hours to get going. 24 c is ideall for pitching nottingham IMO.

There has been some dodgy packs going around, so if you had well aerated wort, and have the wort at around 24c then its probably a dodgy pack.

The vast amounts of yeast wont have a negative effect on your beer so dont worry :thumb: . If you have another vessel, it may be worth transfering the batch. This process will really kick start the yeast into action if healthy ones are present. The down side of this is that if the packs were duff then you are opening the chances of getting an infection. EDIT:' just read that you whisked it so that will do/

24 hours in is now a dangerous time. If nothing has happened in 2 days then a wild yeast will almost always be taking hold and spoil the batch. :(

Cheers for quick response . Just called home to check it and something has started ,about an inch of foam on top ,think it could have been to hot when I pitched yeast ,I dropped thermometer before testing temp so not sure if its broken ,
Would the wild yeast get past airlock ? Or just when I open lid.
Are yeast cells all around us looking for sugary liquid to feed on ?my knowledge on yeast is minimal so excuse me if that is a ridiculous question

I wouldn't worry too much about wild yeast or infection if fermentation has now begun. I have had yeast lag for 42 hours before with no issues whatsoever. As long as everything was well cleaned and sanatised then you'll be fine.

The thing about wort is, yeast love it as much as all other kinds of bacteria and wild yeasts. Some beers like Lambics are made in open vessels that encourage wild yeast to ferment the wort. You can even buy wild yeast in the form of Brettanomyces to make your own sour beers.

Back