Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all.

Newby here. Got the kit and am looking to make my first wow (not even sure what this stands for). ;)

Where should I buy glycerine and are all brands the same? (Seems to be available for beauty products so was worried about using).

Also how long should u leave wow for when making the recipes on this forum.

my first post so thanks for the help guys!!

Stevie.

To make wine you must use equal amounts of grape juice and a juice drink, failure to use grape juice will result in a alcoholic drink with no body.
Apple juice that is 100% is easy to find but other juices can be lower than 50% you would use two of these to one grape juice.

There is a recipe only version of this thread in the wine and cider recipe forum.

lol, when will it be ready to drink?

If you like how it tastes drink it now, all juice wine gets better with a little ageing but if you are like me and don't have a lot of storage space and a wife with hollow legs it will not get much time ageing.

Hi all.

Newby here. Got the kit and am looking to make my first wow (not even sure what this stands for). ;)

Where should I buy glycerine and are all brands the same? (Seems to be available for beauty products so was worried about using).

Also how long should u leave wow for when making the recipes on this forum.

my first post so thanks for the help guys!!

WOW stands for worzels orange wine the original orange version, I call them juice wines as we make them from cartons of juice drink.

We get glycerine in our local supermarket I don't know if they are all the same but it says something like to use in cooking on the label.

You need to leave them until they have fermented to a point whereyou see no bubbles for several minutes then leave them another week for the yeast to clean up after Iitself, failure to do so could leave you with a wine that will give you a bad head and dad guts.

Three ready for bottling now :-)

Whats in those 3 Colin?
What did you use to get them clear?
How long to get to this stage?
They look lovely :-P
Ive got 3 on the go but mine look VERY murky and muddy right now. Bubbling away nicely though and its only day 2.

You need to leave them until they have fermented to a point where you see no bubbles for several minutes then leave them another week for the yeast to clean up after Iitself, failure to do so could leave you with a wine that will give you a bad head and dad guts.

Is that with the first stage Chippy? (Before racking)?

I started my first 3 WOWs on Monday.

1L Apple & Elderflower Fresh
1L Grape/Apple/Rasp Long Life
1 lemon (juice + zest)
1 strong cup Tea

1L Apple/Grape/Rasp Long Life
1L Apple Long Life
¼L Pineapple Long Life
1 Lemon juice/zest
1 cup strong Tea

1L Red Grape & Berry Fresh
1L Grape/Apple/Raspb (LL)
¼L Pineapple (LL)
1 Lime juice/zest
1 cup strong Tea

They are all bubbling away nicely :D

WOW-wine.jpg

Is that with the first stage Chippy? (Before racking)?

The yeast produces alcohol plus CO2 they also produce aldehydes, the yeast needs time to clear up these aldehydes so we give it an extra week after fermentation has stopped.

You could ignore this and it might be ok the shortest time i have left it was 5 days and it was ok.

My latest -

1 x Red grape juice and Apple.

1 x White grape juice and apple/raspberry.

2 x White grape juice and apple/pear (i haven't tried this before so fingers crossed)

20140927_145829.jpg

I use QwiK Clear and its the best i have used.

Same here!, 2 days & they were as my photo!

Do I just bottle now Chippy? If so is it straight into a clean bottle, nothing else to add? When will they be ready for drinking?

Had a small taster night before last - apple & raspberry, okay; cherry & raspberry fruit, lovely; pineapple, rank! Tasted like a friggin dessert wine without the mega sweetness....

I normally wait until its finished fermenting, leave it a week so the yeast cleans up after itself then rack to a clean DJ onto a crushed campden then degas stabilise and add fining, it only needs 48 hours to clear using KwiK Clear.

Colin if you have done all the stages in my answer above and it is clear its time to bottle, you do not need to add anything to the bottles, if you like the taste you can drink it now, it will get better over a few weeks if you leave it.

pineapple, rank! Tasted like a friggin dessert wine without the mega sweetness....

I hate pineapple so have never tried making wine out of the juice, some members like it and have posted recipes in the thread, if its awful just leave it a month then try again.

You think pineapple is bad ? I once made some from prune juice. Absolutely disgusting, nor did age improve it. In the end tipped it down the sink where it belonged. Come to think of it, since then I've had no end of problems with my septic tank... :hmm:

Right, I'm officially brewing!!

DJ #1;
1ltr ASDA White Grape Juice (100%)
1ltr RIO D'ORO Orange Juice with Bits (100%)
782g Sugar
1.5ltr Boiled Cooled Water
2 Bag Black Cup of Tea
1tsp Glycerine
1tsp Youngs Yeast Nutrient
1tsp Wilko Gervin Yeast
1tsp Youngs Pectolase

Bubbling away nicely.

DJ #2;
1ltr ASDA White Grape Juice (100%)
1ltr RIO D'ORO Orange & Mango (100%)
809g Sugar
1.5ltr Boiled Cooled Water
2 Bag Black Cup of Tea
1tsp Glycerine
1tsp Youngs Yeast Nutrient
1tsp Wilko Gervin Yeast
1tsp Youngs Pectolase

Also, bubbling away nicely.

I think I worked out the sugar content properly, not got an Hydrometer yet, it should have been delivered by now, but we were itching to get started!

Shall be trying a few others as soon as my order or essential brewing paraphernalia arrives! Bloody couriers!!

Well, I bottled the cherry & raspberry fruit wine & ended up drinking a bottle and very nice it was too!! I think it will age well & get nicer! Tried the pineapple earlier, not as bad as I said last time but I certainly wont be doing it again!! My niece thought it was nice - she thought the three were nice!!! lol
Cherry/raspberry/blackcurrant is lava lamping well. Got some empty DJ's now, what next??? Work customer has asked me to make some rice & raisin wine so I may give that a go - said its rocket fuel, he's getting me the recipe!

How did you work out the sugar content please?

For a wine of 13% ABV you need a total of 1100g of sugar per gallon (4.5 litres)

Look in the ingredients for "of which is sugar" the figure will be something like 10g but this is usually per 100ml so you need to multiply by 10 = 100g per carton.

If the grape juice has 170g and the apple juice has 100g you add the two values together and subtract the figure from 1100g = 830g.

Latest posts

Back