Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the help so far. So, putting it all together, does this sound like a reasonable (simplified) summary of the process?

1) Add juice, sugar and water as per recipe to shoulder of DJ1
2) Add tannin, pectolase, glycerine, yeast and nutrients
3) Wait until bubbling stops then wait a further 7 days
4) Add crushed Campden tablet to DJ2 and syphon (rack) into it
5) Top up with water to neck of DJ2, degass and add stabiliser
6) Wait until clear (optionally adding finings next day to speed this up)
7) Syphon from DJ2 to bottles

1) Add juice, sugar and water as per recipe to shoulder of DJ1

To the bottom of the shoulder not the top.

2) Add tannin, pectolase, glycerine, yeast and nutrients

Yes.

3) Wait until bubbling stops then wait a further 7 days

Wait until you only see a single bubble every minute, better still buy a hydrometer and test jar (£5 from Wilko) and wait till it gets to .995 or below, then give it a week (some members are now saying it doesn't matter about the extra week but i still wait)

4) Add crushed Campden tablet to DJ2 and syphon (rack) into it

Yes, give it a swirl as the wine goes into DJ 2.

5) Top up with water to neck of DJ2, degass and add stabiliser

No, degas first, add stabiliser then add fining, then give it a good stir or shake and top up.
A home made degassing wand makes the job of degassing and mixing the ingredients a lot easier - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48971

6) Wait until clear (optionally adding finings next day to speed this up)

If you are using finings do as above.

7) Syphon from DJ2 to bottles.

And enjoy. :thumb:

I've made a WOW with:
2L White Grape & Peach Sainsbury Fresh (not 100% juice)
1L Eng Apple & William Pear Sainsbury Fresh (100% juice)
I didn't add any pectolase, because I didn't have any at that point.
It fermented like crazy, and had a 1 inch crust on it, and I've now racked into another DJ, but it's really cloudy (totally opaque).
I hope I'm wrong, but can't imagine finings are going to magically clear it.
Any suggestions?

Did you watch video 2 in the first post in this thread?

If you leave it long enough it will clear on its own, if you use finings it will clear a lot faster. (unless you have a pectin haze because you didn't use pectolace)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQQdkS0JAw&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

I've made a WOW with:
2L White Grape & Peach Sainsbury Fresh (not 100% juice)
1L Eng Apple & William Pear Sainsbury Fresh (100% juice)
I didn't add any pectolase, because I didn't have any at that point.
It fermented like crazy, and had a 1 inch crust on it, and I've now racked into another DJ, but it's really cloudy (totally opaque).
I hope I'm wrong, but can't imagine finings are going to magically clear it.
Any suggestions?

Ive started making these wines and i was amazed at the fact finings do clear these wines :p

I've been using Wilkos finings and the RGJ WOW clears really well. Their finings are £1 and I can do 2 x 10L brews out of it.

I have been using kwik Clear done a good job so far

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using Quick Clear done a good job so far

KwiK Clear is the best fining i have used but it can be difficult to get hold of, youngs Clear It is also a two part fining and works just as well and as fast.

Note the KwiK Clear comes in two different sizes.

DSC00629-600x600.JPG

9120x.jpg

a7777777.png

clearit-500x500.jpg

Chippy you were asking about the RGJ WOW made with just RGJ and no water. Here's a picture, it's ceared really nicely ( couldn't resist the candle behind it). SWMBO and her mates love it, it's a rich/sweet rose that works really well chilled. The RGJ is 95p a liter in Lidl, made from concentrate but 100% juice. I buy nine litres for the two 5L DJ's and with the other bits I get 9 750ml bottles and a bit (that SWMBO quality control tests, purely for my benefit) for about £11/12. TBH I've only ever done it with only all RGJ so I can't compare.

image.jpg

Larry try the strawberry and kiwi wine, OMG my wife to be does not drink as a rule, think i managed 2 glasses out of 2 brews, shes had the lot:mad:

Steve, what strawberry and kiwi juice are you using, where are you buying it? I've done three RGJ WOW's a change will be nice.

Chippy you were asking about the RGJ WOW made with just RGJ and no water.

Did you use 4.5 litres of juice or 2 litres and topped up with water?

I have 2 DJ's of RGJ (2 per DJ) that i will be bottling this tomorrow, looking forward to a sample.

Did you use 4.5 litres of juice or 2 litres and topped up with water?

I have 2 DJ's of RGJ (2 per DJ) that i will be bottling this tomorrow, looking forward to a sample.

Chippy, Just RGJ no water, tea and lemon juice and some glycerin. I top up with RGJ as well. Your RGJ you're bottling tomorrow, what have you done?

Chippy, Just RGJ no water, tea and lemon juice and some glycerin. I top up with RGJ as well. Your RGJ you're bottling tomorrow, what have you done?

2 x RGJ, a mug of black tea for tannin and glcerine for mouth feel (yeas,nutrient pectolace and sugar) and top up with water, i make all my wines with 2 juices if they are 100% juice, i have tasted the juice and it is very strong so i don't think i would like it made from 4.5 litres of juice,

I'm planning on doing a 25lt WOW for a camping trip August bank holiday. Left it a little late.
My recipe is as follows
6x asda red grape juice
4x princes 100% Apple and raspberry juice
4kg sugar
1tsp pectolase
5 tsp youngs super yeast compound
Tanin (8 bag brew)

And thoughts or suggestions welcome.

When making 5 gallons (22.5 litre) as opposed to 1 gallon (4.5 litre) you need to multiply everything by 5, 1 tsp of pectolace is not going to be enough and you need the equivalent of 5 mugs of strong tea for tannin, i use 1.5 litres of tea for 5 gallons, 5 teaspoons of glycerine will also help the end product.

Just transfered to dj2
my strawberry/kiwi and my apple/peach after 3 weeks in dj1 still bubbled but was starting to clear
so transfered via a filter and degassed added wine stabalizer and camden tablet
So waiting to clear now got no finings / clearing stuff so I'll see if it clears on its own
Had to top up with juice as it was about 3/4 liter short
Cant wait to try it as it smells quite nice
Straw/kiwi was 1.100 - 0.996 13.5% ish
Apple/peach was 1.100 - 1.006 12% ish
So abv not too shabby to say this is first attempt

Latest posts

Back