Suppliers advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Please

Reaction score
Hey all.

Looking for your suggestions on suppliers of brewing supplies. Primarily grain, yeast, hops etc.
No home brew shop near to me and delivery rates for the highlands of Scotland are eye watering at times.
cheers

Yip, I'm up in Aviemore and there's no Highlands surcharge when using Crossmyloof on grain orders. Delivery can take a couple of days longer to get here, but I can live with that.

Thanks guys.
Order placed with Crossmyloof.

Free delivery vs £19.00 for same thing elsewhere!!
hmmm, let me think 🤔😁

Brewstore in Edinburgh are the obvious choice for a "trad" homebrew retailer with no Highlands surcharge.

Also - if you have any breweries (or distilleries?!?) nearby, get sacks of base malts from them, it just makes a whole lot of sense from everyone's point of view.

As has already been mentioned, I can definitely recommend Crafty Maltsters near Auchtermuchty in Fife. Arranged a pickup of a couple of 25Kg sacks of Malt this week and Alison was incredibly easy to deal with as well as very helpful. I know that there are several Forum members who buy from there regularly, and I can see why. Another big attraction is the idea of barley grown in Scotland, Malted on site and then brewed in Scotland. Not so easy to do that with the hops though!

For grain try Crafty Maltsters in Cupar Fife
For yeast and hops Crossmyloof in Glasgow. Free delivery.
Definitely second both these, though Crafty Maltsters only sell in 25kg batches. Crossmyloof (CML) are v good and do quite a few malts as well in smaller quantities - I'm not associated with either in any way so this is just my subjective experience. Maltmiller is the best in my view for sheer range of malts and yeasts if you need something a bit different.

Maltmiller is the best in my view for sheer range of malts and yeasts if you need something a bit different.

But they're one of those who charge a premium to go to the Highlands - or at least the minimum order value goes up from £100 to £250 (and £300 over 30kg) for AB36-38, AB55-56, FK17-21, IV1-39, IV52-54, IV63, KW1-14, PA21-40, PH19-26, PH30-41, PH49-50, HS1-9, IV40-51, IV55-56, KA27-28, KW15-17, PA20, PA41-49, PA60-78, PH42-44, ZE1-3 and I imagine the delivery charge below that is significantly higher. That's the big advantage of Brewstore in the OP's situation, as a "full-service" retailer but they're so much closer they don't charge for Highland delivery. And also they don't make a "packaging" charge for small amounts of malt which is really handy when you only need 50g of something.

Also if the OP is near Speyside, they could try going direct to one of the maltsters up there for 25kg sacks.

Latest posts

Back