Swingtop bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satellitemark

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can anyone with experience of swingtop bottles let me know of the opinions for home brewing use, particularly cleaning sterilising and maintenance rubber seals etc.

I have the opportunity to buy some used ones but am concerned that they be more trouble / work than they are worth !

Thanks,

Mark

I am interested to see the response. I have avoided swing-top so far as I couldn't be bothered with cleaning the tops and inspecting/replacing the rubber seals periodically. I would probably only use them if all my bottles for that particular bottling session were swing-top purely because I'd have my bottle capper out anyway, so may as well cap the lot rather than faf with maintenance and cleaning of the swing tops. That said, you asked for someone with experience, which is not me. I may be making it out to be more hassle than it actually is. I just know that come bottling day, I would find half the rubber seals were broken and not have any replacements to hand.
I shall be quiet now, and await a response from someone who has used them.

Hi Guys,

Can anyone with experience of swingtop bottles let me know of the opinions for home brewing use, particularly cleaning sterilising and maintenance rubber seals etc.

I have the opportunity to buy some used ones but am concerned that they be more trouble / work than they are worth !

Thanks,

Mark

The swingtops get in the dishwasher here, and the rings can be replaced with silicone ones to be even more durable.
I have about 100 of them, bought them anew, no regrets.

Bottles

Swingtops

Shipping not included (but over £70 probably not too bad). Prices are an indication, you might find the same products local cheaper, even with shipping.

Thanks Chippy, I'm wondering how often the rubber seals need replacing and if the captive stoppers cause problems with sterilising.

I've used the same swing top bottles for over 80 brews (maybe over 7 or so years) and I've not yet had to change any seals. The bottles are a mix of grolsh and wilko (plastic seals) bottles and the ceramic top style bottles (previously a German beer).

I clean each bottle with water after drinking and the starsan before bottling. The tops only ever get dipped in starsan when the bottle is pushed onto the bottle rinser. Never bothered to take them off personally.

I don't rate the Kilner ones. On mine the silicone seals have perished after 5 months. Maybe a bad batch. Or maybe mice got in and chewed them? My other swingtop bottles have rubber seals and they seem fine.

I don't treat my swing tops any differently from my crown caps. I triple rinse the bottle the same day as drinking the beer, dump them into a bucket with Milton solution in it for 24 hours and then put them into the filing cabinet with the bottles open. A quick starsan before re-using them. Never had a problem yet.

I've used the same swing top bottles for over 80 brews (maybe over 7 or so years) and I've not yet had to change any seals. The bottles are a mix of grolsh and wilko (plastic seals) bottles and the ceramic top style bottles (previously a German beer).

I clean each bottle with water after drinking and the starsan before bottling. The tops only ever get dipped in starsan when the bottle is pushed onto the bottle rinser. Never bothered to take them off personally.

Snap. I've been using ceramic swing tops for 5 years of brewing and I'm the same, have not had any issues with the seals at all. I clean and use Starsan the same way as well.

Back