T-58 yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alefric LeHendz

Reaction score
Hi, I put a single gallon batch of saison using t-58 yeast into the fv yesterday and the blow off bottle was bubbling from about 5 hours after pitch whilst the krausen seems to have already peaked within about 24 hours. Is this normal for this yeast?

Hi, I put a single gallon batch of saison using t-58 yeast into the fv yesterday and the blow off bottle was bubbling from about 5 hours after pitch whilst the krausen seems to have already peaked within about 24 hours. Is this normal for this yeast?

I use t-58 in my Wits and it does tend to start off with lots of activity which then subsides and it then take its own good time to get down to FG. What temp are you fermenting at? I guess as it’s a Saison you may already be fermenting warm, but I find that ramping up your fermentation temp to at least the low 20s (22ish for my Wits) after the initial fermentation activity dies down really helps, as well as bringing out the estery nature of the yeast. Even so, expect to wait the full 14 days to reach your FG.

jx

I use t-58 in my Wits and it does tend to start off with lots of activity which then subsides and it then take its own good time to get down to FG. What temp are you fermenting at? I guess as it’s a Saison you may already be fermenting warm, but I find that ramping up your fermentation temp to at least the low 20s (22ish for my Wits) after the initial fermentation activity dies down really helps, as well as bringing out the estery nature of the yeast. Even so, expect to wait the full 14 days to reach your FG.

jx
Thanks for the advice, I pitched in the low 20s and cooled it to about 19 where it is now. The SG wasn't too high but I was planning to leave it 2 weeks so I can bottle on the weekend. It will rise to about 22 degrees naturally without cooling so after a few days I'll probably just let it be.

Back