TC Apple and Pear

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Barley Rubble

Landlord.
Reaction score
Been busy today and knocked up this cider in a gallon DJ which was sitting around idle.

2 x 1 litre Sainsburys Apple and Pear Juice 100%. 2 x 80g sugar.
1 x 1 litre Sainsburys Apple Juice from concentrate. 1 x 92g sugar.
1 x 1 litre Granini Williams Pear Juice 50%. 1 x 118g sugar.
1 x cup of black tea (3 bags) 2 x tsp white sugar.
OG 1050.
1 x 1 tsp Youngs Pectolase.
1/2 sachet sweetened Cider Yeast.

Airlock started bubbling within a couple of minutes.

Again I have high hopes for this one. Will keep everyone posted on how its going.

Barley Rubble

Landlord.
Reaction score
I bottled this one this morning. FG 1000, so ABV around 6.55%, so not too shabby!
This particular brew created a lot of sediment in the bottom of the DJ. It was about a third of the way up!!!o_O
I still managed to fill 12 x 330 ml bottles and a couple of them look like murky, beige swamp water! Even if they don't clear, I will still drink them, don't worry about that.
Placed the 12 bottles in a warm room to carbonate. Seven of them are clear glass "SOL" bottles so I can keep an eye on how they are doing.

LED_ZEP

Reaction score
I get very little sediment with juice wines/cider but I always use wine yeasts. I wonder if this yeast is designed to make a cloudy cider hence the larger flocculation.

Barley Rubble

Landlord.
Reaction score
I get very little sediment with juice wines/cider but I always use wine yeasts. I wonder if this yeast is designed to make a cloudy cider hence the larger flocculation.
That may be possible as I have only had this occur once before on a WOW where I used pineapple juice which is notorious for lava lamp style activity! Before racking that DJ into another I poured off about the top inch or so and it was just a thick sludge!!

Barley Rubble

Landlord.
Reaction score
Having spent 2 weeks in the warm carbonating, on Tuesday 18th August I transferred to the back of the garage where it is cooler and hopefully will clear in time.