Terrible brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizz head1982

Regular.
Reaction score
Got up fairly early as i am an outside brewer, then I got ambushed and waylaid with a financial discussion in which I couldnt miss. So finally at 11 I get all the gear out, I start running the rain water through the water filter as it heats up... Filters clogged... I knew i needed another one but i got by last time. Screw it, walk to town and buy one...

Get back, start filtering and a ham sandwich. I decided to take some extra notes so in future I can predict the ambient temp and how much I need to add tot he strike temp for the tempreture loss when i transfer it to the mash tun and add the grain...

Ambient temperature, 10, 5 mins later its 6, then 15... What? It finally settles at 15, probably about right. Check the strike water... 50 degrees... Waiting... Thermometers a bit sticky, must not have washed it after a sample. Dipped it in the strike water and went to wipe it off on my shirt, my coat get in the way and it just slipped from my thinger and thumb... Smash first hit.

Dipped the remaining half in the water to see if it might still work, it just read 50c... Red line rises, success! Reaches 50, end of thermometer... :doh:

Went in the house, have we got a spare thermometer? - No... Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Back to town... bought two.

Its now 14:26, Im still heating strike water.... What time does it get dark now?

We have all had days like that i broke two hydrometers a sample jar and had a boil over all in one brewday oh and ran out of yeast

So do i buy a brewpacks 85 quider or build my own fire hazard? :wha:

After building my own mash tun Im not so sure I can be bothered building my own boiler...

Why not simply get a new element from Amazon, no NOT the burco one, the one for just a bit over £12.

Stainless steel 3kw round.

Aamcle

PS. If your not too far away I might be interested in a busted burco :)

Its not really mine to give, some one lent me it / gave it to me... actually im not really sure who owns it. I had suspected it of cutting out sometimes... Not sure whats wrong with it, could be the element fuse or a saftey cut out if it has one, could even be the flex... Its pretty smashed up, one handle, leaky tap, some messy stains...

I might repair it and give it back. looking at this electrim boiler now, looks alright.

Back