Tesco's direct - Youngs Harvest Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine said out of stock this morning, but if you click on it anyway it says in stock and lets you buy.
I just ordered 20 bitter and 10 Pilsner, but there might be still some left :grin:

Chealehay said:
Mine said out of stock this morning, but if you click on it anyway it says in stock and lets you buy.
I just ordered 20 bitter and 10 Pilsner, but there might be still some left :grin:

thanks iv ordered 2 and got them for free as i had £6 worth of vouchers :D

I've just ordered 2 bitter kits and a strawberry wine kit for delivery to local store - grand total of 7.71 spent. Any thoughts on improving the bitter kits? Was thinking of dry hopping or using honey in place of some / all of the sugar

yeah i clocked the festival kits - Things seem to be either outrageously cheap or ridiculously expensive on there

The reason is due to sales tactics. Next week they'll be £16.50. They have to raise the price so they can then legally claim "Hey, this is half price!".

You'll often see on half price stickers in supermarkets.. "Higher price charged between 1.11.13 and 6.11.13'

Sneaky buggers

So now you've all got your cheap Harvest Bitters what have you done, if anything, to improve the kit?

I have one (sadly full price) that I plan to start on Wednesday, so any tips appreciated!

MattN said:
I bought a few of these. I have done one before to 18 litres with one kilo of sugar and I was very happy with the result. So I have got one on the go to 18 litres and as an experiment one to twelve litres with 1.25 kilos of sugar.

I will report back with the result.

Cheers

Matt

Very very happy with the result of these and won't mind paying full price when I run out of the cheap one's.

Matt

That's good to know, Matt, thanks.

So brewing short is a good start then by the sound of it.

If I wanted to brew the full 40 I presume it needs a bit more thrown in on top of the one can?

I'd be inclined to add some DME (Dry Malt Extract) and in a couple of mine I've added a hop tea using various hops based on what I had a lot of to start with. I like hoppy beer so I've tried 50g Fuggles and 50G EKG in a hop tea which proved to be excellent and because of the DME it was also increased ABV 6.2%.

The last one I made I used 50G of Dr Rudi and 10g of EKG which I got from Brewdog brewery after their excellent presentation in Aberdeen.

I'm not a fan of dry hoping as one of my recent bad brews (I drank it anyway) was possibly as the result of an old batch of fuggles used, so I'm now focusing on Hop Teas to provide that extra zing in my brews.

Thanks LeithR, I'll start looking into Hop Teas now so I understand exactly what they are.

Looks like I might need to get me some DME too!

Latest posts

Back