The Best Dry Yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of interest, has anyone tried the Hambleton Bard / Bulldog range of dried yeasts? I picked the 'steam lager' up when I was in the home brew shop a while ago. Forgot I had it TBH. The blurb says it is a hybrid ale / lager yeast and will ferment at 13 degrees.

https://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Bulldog-B23-Steam-Beer-Yeast-32123.html

I thnk because for the most part their reliable and also very cheap (also no p&pcost) most people are buying CML yeast or sticking to old favourites like US-05. So tthe HB yeasts arent getting a look in

So far I've had the best experiences with old favorites.
Fermentis simply doesn't make bad yeasts. And Mangrove Jack's is also decent. Lallemand is also perfectly fine :).
But also have used somethings from vendors Like Gozdawa. It isn't per se bad. But often its just that others are better.

Like they have a fine pale ale yeast. But it simply flocculates awful compared to US-05. And thats often the case I have the feeling. That simply the yeasts aren't as well rounded as the established one's.

Going to try out CML tomorrow. They also deliver internationally :).

Danstar Notty and BRY-97 (west coast ale yeast, US-05 I believe) mostly, depending on how hoppy the beer is.

when I first stared brewing (with malt extract and brewing sugar) I went off the advice in my local HBS, they said Gervin G14 would do the trick, which it did.

However this left an overly malty yeasty taste to my beers which I don't like at all, possibly down to me learning the process and what works well in addition to the types of beers I prefer.

Pale ales IPA and nice light refreshing beers are my preference. I moved onto all grain BIAB and decided to switch to US-05 after reading a similar thread and continue to use it to this day no matter what I am brewing, whether its an Engish IPA, APA or a lager stile continental beer. One advantage of US-05 is it ferments at the low temperature I prefer (usually around 15/16 degrees) have yet to try US-04 or Mangrove Jack but I might give them a go sometime

Being down the very bottom of the brewing learning curve at the moment, I have very limited experience on yeast but intend to focus on using Mangrove Jacks as I'm learning, on the basis that I find their guide to be very easy to read and can get technical info and tasting notes in one place:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0195/8620/files/72539_V4_MJ_CS_Yeast_Bk_WEB.pdf

They also have better packaging that the other ones, so I feel more hip.

Interesting that Mangrove Jacks don't recommend reusing yeast but to buy fresh every time. Marketing ploy or solid advice?

Interesting that Mangrove Jacks don't recommend reusing yeast but to buy fresh every time. Marketing ploy or solid advice?
Both. More consistent and lower risk using fresh dry yeast, and gaurantees continued sales.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Probably the "safest" advice to give the most consistent results, with the least chance of infections etc, whilst just-so-happening to mean more spent by the customer! :nod:

It is said of all dry yeasts that you shouldn't do it.
Also it is said that you shouldn't make a starter out of it.

Though the be fair, I have seen no one trying this out and coming to the conclusion that it was bad.

I was talking to a local micro brewery about that and they use dried packet years every time they brew, as this is lab developed and consistent.

Unless you have a lab on site to keep checking your used yeast you wont be able to tell when it mutates (which it will) until its too late and you have brewed several hundred gallons (as a commercial brewer that is).

Latest posts

Back