The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not yeast but malt... they've been saying for a while that malt will be here in March. Well seeing as it's March I've just gone to check and now it's coming in April. Hope it's not like global warming - always in the future.

Spoke to steve from crossmyloofvabout this last tuesday he says there in process of moving premises at the mo and theyve got beer to brew first so its all up in air at the minute. Same with a true lager strain.

Sounds like the classic Soon™...

I stopped bothering with them to be honest. They're good blokes and everything, but I don't much like their yeast, and I try to only use whole hops now which they don't sell, so had to look elsewhere. I have to keep swapping and changing supplier as it is, when I find that my usual only has the hop I want in pellets.... lol

Sadly the craze for pellets has meant alot of hb shops stopped bothering with leaf. I prefer leaf to pellets in the kettle. But i struggle to get leaf in the varities i want. The only one with any constistancy is worcester hop shop

I have just started a kit pilsner with extras using the CML Kolsch yeast. The FV is in my water bath at 17.5*C and has been on the go for just under 24 hours. Although there is a one inch krausen on top the bubble rate is very slow (and the FV lid is sealed with cling film so should be leakproof ). I read on here that CML yeasts are quick to ferment out, and given that I am not on the limit of the yeast temperature range (15-22*C) my experience is shaping up to be different. I rehydrated for about 20 mins per instructions before pitching . So I wondered if anyone else has used this particular yeast and what their experience was. My slight concern is that I want it finished, dry hopped and packaged before I go away on holiday in 17 days time, although I accept I may have to change my plans.

I have just started a kit pilsner with extras using the CML Kolsch yeast. The FV is in my water bath at 17.5*C and has been on the go for just under 24 hours. Although there is a one inch krausen on top the bubble rate is very slow (and the FV lid is sealed with cling film so should be leakproof ). I read on here that CML yeasts are quick to ferment out, and given that I am not on the limit of the yeast temperature range (15-22*C) my experience is shaping up to be different. I rehydrated for about 20 mins per instructions before pitching . So I wondered if anyone else has used this particular yeast and what their experience was. My slight concern is that I want it finished, dry hopped and packaged before I go away on holiday in 17 days time, although I accept I may have to change my plans.
I've used the Kolsch yeast twice at about that temp Terry, and it's fermented out in around a week on both occasions. It doesn't create a huge krausen, and it doesn't look very vigorous, but I would be confident that it would get the job done.

Hi
I've used the Kolsch a few times and it is quick but maybe not as quick as some of the other CML yeasts. I found it probably a couple of days longer than some have suggested and needs the full 2 weeks to finish off and clean up as per most brews having said that I did leave it in a cooler than normal ferment area probably 18-19ish. Taste wise good like a pseudo lager depending on recipe

I'm probably making a dunkle this coming week but not sure I have lager yeast and might have to buy some more. The CML kolsch or California Common is probably the cheapest when taking into account delivery, how do they come out tasting? I usually use W-34/70 or S-23 which are really good yeasts.

I have pitched onto kolsch slurry at 14c and it went nuts in 2 hours. Sometimes it takes up to a day to really get going. I never rehydrate either as i cant be bothered, i just use more yeast. Only used the cali common once and the beer was off so cant comment on that but as for the quality of the kolsch yeast i think its superb. I ferment for 2 weeks. Cold crash for 3 days, add finings and keg 3 days later. Be prepared to wait longer if you bottle.

Anyone had the Californian Common one stick? After a week its at 1.030. I did get caught out with this latest cold snap as I've been away with the heating on frost setting so the room was at 8c when I got back today.
The beer itself was at 12c.
I've stuck it next to the radiator and given it a stir for the time being. Odd thing is is it doesn't taste sweet but the hydrometer seems fine.

Funnily enough my belgium quad wit their belgium yeast is still blooping away (its under an airlock, the CC isn't)

Hmm, thanks both. I'm hoping a resumption of central heating will have kicked it into life.
Still don't know why it tastes perfectly ok though, hops masking the sugars?

Over the weekend, I tried a sample of my Brewferm Christmas Ale brewed with half a pack of cml Belgian yeast. It's been in the bottle for 3 months and I found that it was best between 12 and 15 months last time. The phenolic esters were very strong at bottling but have mellowed now and this tastes very promising.

The kolsch yeast makes a really good pseudo lager. I had a couple of pints of pils from some micro or other yesterday, I'm now drinking a pseudo pilsner that I made and it tastes very similar. I didnt even lager it, just fermented it fairly cool (about 14C iirc)

Just noticed that the CML yeast specs now state that theres more than 20 billion viable cells per gram - I'm sure is used to say it was much lower, around 10 billion iirc

So CML yeast has been well tested by members on here, so how do you think the American Pale compares to US05?
I have 5 gallons of costly well hopped American Rye IPA to make next and I don't want to chance using a sub standard yeast.

So CML yeast has been well tested by members on here, so how do you think the American Pale compares to US05?
I have 5 gallons of costly well hopped American Rye IPA to make next and I don't want to chance using a sub standard yeast.

I've not used US-05, but have used the CML stuff. I would say, if you are spending a lot on a brew, why cut costs on the yeast? Try it out on a cheaper brew if you want to try it, do your expensive brew with a yeast that you know you can trust.

Have to say it makes me laugh people saying its cheap so therefore its no good. I must have made over 30 beers with it and its consistent every time. I have 1056 in the fridge but i cant be bothered to make a starter. Personally i prefer to use liquid but the pale and kolsch perform so well for me i continue to use them.

Just noticed that the CML yeast specs now state that theres more than 20 billion viable cells per gram - I'm sure is used to say it was much lower, around 10 billion iirc
I'm not sure any of the main yeast manufacturers give specific cell count numbers for dry yeast, they generally specify something like 5x10^9 cells per gram, which works out at 55bn cells for an 11g packet, if you accept the low end. I'm sure others have suggested that in reality it is far more and much close to 200bn cells in an 11g packet.

Maybe CML have some extra information from whoever manufactures their yeast, or maybe they've just taken this higher estimate and run with it.

Have to say it makes me laugh people saying its cheap so therefore its no good. I must have made over 30 beers with it and its consistent every time. I have 1056 in the fridge but i cant be bothered to make a starter. Personally i prefer to use liquid but the pale and kolsch perform so well for me i continue to use them.
I've only ever used the US pale yeast from CML, but would totally agree. Its clean, ferments out well & I get consistant attenuation with it. Although I do like to use liquid when I'm looking for a bit of yeast character.

Last edited:
I'm not sure any of the main yeast manufacturers give specific cell count numbers for dry yeast, they generally specify something like 5x10^9 cells per gram, which works out at 55bn cells for an 11g packet, if you accept the low end. I'm sure others have suggested that in reality it is far more and much close to 200bn cells in an 11g packet.

Maybe CML have some extra information from whoever manufactures their yeast, or maybe they've just taken this higher estimate and run with it.
Yeah the CML figure seems alot higher than other dry yeast manufacturers give but is maybe more accurate??

Latest posts

Back