The difference between?????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think the M&S one is brewed under contract with a posh label, but same bottling line?

Can you post up the ABV and anything else you notice is different as I can't read the labels.

Interested to know how one company can produce two variants virtually the same but for different markets.

Some people would never see the other version. I would think the venn diagram would be -
View attachment 22179
Kellogs did it with cornflakes, over produced to sold and packaged as aldi

Big fan of Oakham, their beers have a great pithy bitterness to them. Their cask beers are great, worth seeking out a pub in their "Oakademy" https://www.oakhamales.com/oakademy/ Thankfully one of the best pubs in Glasgow is part of it so almost always has Oakham on draught

Hi

M&S seem to do this a lot for their beer range ... getting breweries to brew their (better) beers for them, under contract, changing them just enough to be classed as "different" (probably for the breweries' sake) but not so much as to not still be familiar :?: ... e.g. their "Cornish IPA" is/was made for them by St. Austell, and was a scaled down (ABV-wise) version of Proper Job, the Northern Mild is/was a stronger version of Thwaites' Nutty Black (I don't shop there often, but those two used to even be bottle conditioned, like the brewery originals, with the brewery primary strains :?: ), the Norfolk Bitter is a variation on Woodforde's Wherry, their London Porter is based on Meantime's London Porter, the Southwold Bitter is something like Adnams' Southwold, etc., etc.

My guess is that they are slightly different, probably so as to not "compete" with the originals ... but possibly also to fit better to M&S customers' "requirements" :?:

Cheers, PhilB
I agree. But equally, there are a few that I’ve found are different;
The 0.5% beer brewed for them by Adnams isn’t exactly the same as the low-ABV Ghost Ship - one is darker (IIRC the M&S one) suggesting a different malt bill.
And the Cornish Saison Sharp’s brew for them is different (it’s also nasty IMO) as Sharp’s own-branded one.

Hi Llamaman
I agree. But equally, there are a few that I’ve found are different;
... I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there, I think you're agreeing with what I said, which was basically that "they're all similar, but different", but the "But" in there suggests you've found differently ... so, have you found some that are (exactly) the same? :?:

Cheers, PhilB

upload_2020-1-2_17-10-41.jpeg
Kellogs did it with cornflakes, over produced to sold and packaged as aldi

Latest posts

Back