The other halves

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha.. all I get is what have you bought this time... and where's all this going..

Think I need a brew shed already

I get very little hassle.
I brew in the kitchen and dispensing is in the pub/shed.
She doesn't even moan at all the stuff I buy to fill the pub/shed.

And she gives me a lift into town and picks me up when I'm pi**ed after a night out with my mates.

Solid Gold

My good lady is glad that I do something that keeps me from under her feet. It is funny though when I come in from the garage with my latest creation all excited about the smell, taste, mouth feel and she wrinkles her nose. Oh, and she really doesn't like the half-used packets of hops taking up the freezer drawers. Strange chaps, women....

Er - Getting the dog drunk on trub on Wednesday didn't go down to well, she's been out and inspected her flower garden where i happened to dump the trub this morning and apparently its killed the plants......Thats not my fault they may have just died of natural causes like things do !

So far i've "apparently" nicked two of her plastic boxes, she can't find both measuring jugs (that'll be because they are in the garage/brewery now, and actually they aren't measuring jugs any more, they are now beer collection and sanitisation measuring devices, the kettle was covered in 'muck' (again not sure how that happened)

I've only been brewing 2 weeks :p

Got the dog drunk and killed the garden and claimed natural causes? :lol

tbh my wife is pretty good doesn't seem to bothered and is pleased I have another hobby. I am not sure she'd appreciate the mess and I do try to make it when she isn't around.. nice to enjoy that time to yourself though.

I think she might appreciate me brweing outdoors now and not "what IS that smell" when I dough in :razz:

she's been out and inspected her flower garden where i happened to dump the trub this morning and apparently its killed the plants......Thats not my fault they may have just died of natural causes like things do !

:lol:

I cleaned out a corny yesterday, used boiling water and oxiclean. Dumped it on the grass out the back - oops. Blamed the huge (and I'm talking 3' square) dead patch in the lawn on the dog...

Got the dog drunk and killed the garden and claimed natural causes? :lol

tbh my wife is pretty good doesn't seem to bothered and is pleased I have another hobby. I am not sure she'd appreciate the mess and I do try to make it when she isn't around.. nice to enjoy that time to yourself though.

I think she might appreciate me brweing outdoors now and not "what IS that smell" when I dough in :razz:

Lol - She's always moaning i never take her anywhere, so I've promised her a trip out to the home brew shop next week :party:

..............You can imagine the joyous conversation that followed !

My other half cleared out a cupboard in the kitchen when I started a month ago and today she is clearing out an area in the shed for me as my brews and equipment haul increases. She says she might even build me some shelving too. I'm a lucky swine! :)

BTW - last year for our wedding anniversary she wanted a new drill and a Black & Decker workmate and she gets more new tools every year for xmas. (true story)

Oh, and she really doesn't like the half-used packets of hops taking up the freezer drawers.

This is my wifes biggest gripe, we don't have a massive freezer and the top drawer is almost entirely full of part used foil hop bags.

She also occasionally shouts out 'your homebrew is slowly taking over the house' which usually means she has found a bottle of warm conditioning beer in a cupbard she has just opened !

All in all, mine is pretty understanding, she does however usually proclaim 'are you sure this homebrew is cheaper than just buying beer ?' when the credit card statement comes in.

All in all, mine is pretty understanding, she does however usually proclaim 'are you sure this homebrew is cheaper than just buying beer ?' when the credit card statement comes in.

LOL I know what you mean. I think in the last couple of weeks the most said statement from me has been, "I don't think I need to buy much more equipment now."

But there is always something else that takes your fancy and you justify it to yourself by thinking, "But it WILL work out cheaper in the end." :drink:

LOL I know what you mean. I think in the last couple of weeks the most said statement from me has been, "I don't think I need to buy much more equipment now."

But there is always something else that takes your fancy and you justify it to yourself by thinking, "But it WILL work out cheaper in the end." :drink:

Yes I regularly do the justifying it to myself thing - 'after this purchase I will be pretty much setup, then the beer will really be 40p a pint !'

There is always some piece of kit, large or small, to improve your next brew to try and achieve the nirvana that is perfect beer :wink:

Yes I regularly do the justifying it to myself thing - 'after this purchase I will be pretty much setup, then the beer will really be 40p a pint !'

There is always some piece of kit, large or small, to improve your next brew to try and achieve the nirvana that is perfect beer :wink:

It simple - justify it this way:

I spend circa £10 a week say on Beers i drink at home, so that works out to £520 a year, so if i spend say £150 setting up my beer manufacturing process i'll effectively save around £370 - so thats £370 she can go spend on shoe's or handbags or even more presents for me :p

........Then if she comes back with some clever answer to this you can add, "and do remember darling that doesn't include the money i spend down the pub, with my new stock pile of beer i'll no longer need to drink out down the pub as much, so again even more money being saved" .......they simply can't argue with that sort of logic :drink:

........Then if she comes back with some clever answer to this

My wife usually has 10 clever answers, not just one :hmm:

I find it best to just let the comments on money spent on home brew just roll off my back.

I occasionally remind her I am not spending £100's a year on a football season ticket, or £100's a year on golf club membership etc. etc.

Other than that I find its best to avoid engaging the enemy as far as possible :-D

My wife usually has 10 clever answers, not just one :hmm:

I find it best to just let the comments on money spent on home brew just roll off my back.

I occasionally remind her I am not spending £100's a year on a football season ticket, or £100's a year on golf club membership etc. etc.

Other than that I find its best to avoid engaging the enemy as far as possible :-D

Thats a fare point, i've always just ordered stuff and she finds out when it arrives, and like they say "its easy to beg forgiveness than beg permission" :lol:

Just read all of this thread. Some of it very, very funny. I don't have any kind of problem whatsoever 'cos I am "the other half". My hubby thinks my ongoing obsession with brewing is great - well he would wouldn't he.

The only person who objects in my household is my daughter who hides herself in her room once the boil goes on.

Kitchen is always full of empty bottles and FVs going "Blup" in the corner. One freezer draw is full of hops and no one cares 'cos I'm the only one that cooks.

My sympathies chaps :D :cheers:

*John Cleese voice*
Are there any women here?

Glad to hear this hobby isn't just one big boys' club. My partner does like drinking our homemade wine but sadly isn't that into her beers...all the more for me I suppose!

Just read all of this thread. Some of it very, very funny. I don't have any kind of problem whatsoever 'cos I am "the other half". My hubby thinks my ongoing obsession with brewing is great - well he would wouldn't he.

The only person who objects in my household is my daughter who hides herself in her room once the boil goes on.

Kitchen is always full of empty bottles and FVs going "Blup" in the corner. One freezer draw is full of hops and no one cares 'cos I'm the only one that cooks.

My sympathies chaps :D :cheers:

You should have kept quiet - you're going to be snowed under with offers of marriage! :lol:
Seriously, my other half only complains when I start bottling beer in the kitchen just before she wants to get in there and make lunch. I do kind of fill the place...

You should have kept quiet - you're going to be snowed under with offers of marriage! :lol:
Seriously, my other half only complains when I start bottling beer in the kitchen just before she wants to get in there and make lunch. I do kind of fill the place...

I'll second that, sounds like my dream woman :razz:

Latest posts

Back