The time has come

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit081

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been thinking now for about 4 or 5 years about brewing some wine on a very large scale, I would love obviously to do it on a commercial scale but when I saw how much of your turnover has to be paid n tax to the government i nearly had a heart attack(50% paid upfront on your forecasted incomings :sick: )
I have a family member who runs and owns a sheet metal factory in Barking London way and he has agreed to make me a large scale fermentation vessel.

Basically we are talking a stainless tank with removeable lid for ease of cleaning, jacketed with a hot water jacket for ideal brewing temperatures and thermostat. The whole shebang is only gonna set me back one hundred notes delivered. I am looking forward to the summer when the fruit is free but I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get Orange Juice on a bulk scale and grape juice to kick the **** out of a monster orange wurzels.

Tank will hold 50 Gallons. With another 45 gallon tank attached to it to pump the must fromone to the other to in a way Rack the wine clean the main tank and pump it back again, thus using the main tank to finish off the fermentation.

Im even looking in to a solar panel to power the water heater. I reckon at the bootsales I could knock out the wurzels for a safe £4 a bottle.

I guess the question Im asking is "Would you pay £4 a bottle wurzels"

I might even be able to get it cheaper because Im not really doing this to make money I just have always wanted to try it. What ay reckon Pie in the sky leave it alone or go for it?

'kinell Bandit, sounds like you could be entering a minefield of legislation. :eek:

bandit081 said:
I guess the question I'm asking is "Would you pay £4 a bottle wurzels"?
Probably, if I was still buying commercial wines, although I think you would have to be giving quite a fair drop away as samples. From someone at a boot sale, probably not.

I'd rather pay 45p (including the cork) ;)

Moley said:
'kinell Bandit, sounds like you could be entering a minefield of legislation. :eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol: probably right Moley maybe i should just keep it for meself lol, wonder howlong it willtake to drink 225 botles of Wurzels :lol: Im sure you will help me wont you moley :thumb:

bandit081 said:
wonder how long it will take to drink 225 bottles of Wurzels :lol:
225 nights :whistle:

bandit081 said:
I'm sure you will help me won't you moley :thumb:
Thanks for the offer but I think I've got enough :cheers:

PB09120801.jpg

PB09120802.jpg

Yes I know it's a damned disgrace, needs a good clean-up and a fresh coat of whitewash.

bandit081 said:
I guess the question Im asking is "Would you pay £4 a bottle wurzels"
That is an interesting idea . . . I would not pay 4 quid a bottle I'm afraid, Chris Hogg at Hamstead Homebrew has a winery attached and I can buy damn fine varietal grape wines from him for 2.75 a bottle . . . IIRC his Chateau Nufe du pape clone only works out at about 4 quid.

Chris bulk imports concentrated varietal grape juices from all over the world and makes his own wine kits up . . they are of a similar standard to the Selection or Herons Bay kits at a significant saving.

I guess you guys will call me a snob for turning my nose up at 'fruit' based wines . . . I've been there and done that and made some really nice wine like drinks . . . but I do prefer the consistency of the real thing.

Holey sheeeeeite Moley thats the best damn cellar I have ever seen in my entire life, You sir have definately got your priorities right, Ive just realised too, it must be cold in the cellar so the dj's on the floor have finished fermenting and are ageing, your fermentation goes on upstairs on the side board so you have a lot more than that dont you.

Looks like i need to step upmy game a bit lol

I want a cellar :idea:

bandit081 said:
Ive just realised too, it must be cold in the cellar so the dj's on the floor have finished fermenting and are ageing, your fermentation goes on upstairs on the side board so you have a lot more than that dont you?
:oops: Well, yes, as it happens. Currently 12 gallons working and 32 gallons maturing in bulk :cheers:
Cellar rarely drops below 10°C in the Winter but is still cool in the Summer. :thumb:

bandit081 said:
I want a cellar :idea:
I would recommend one - go find a shovel.

Back