The trub trapper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure some one over on Jim's mentioned just whirlpool IMG was just just as good

Hi Lee, i had forgotten i started this thread. What do you mean by ok for non electric? I have reduced the trub loads by putting my hops in bags but i thought that looked like an interesting idea.

The element location might be a problem unless you are one of the very few who uses the round elements.

I have reduced the trub loads by putting my hops in bags
I find the more hops in my brew the less waste I get as the hops filter the hot break gunk and stop it clogging up the filter. So with an IPA I manage to drain every last drop of liquid from my boiler.
Biggest problem for me is brews with low hop additions - the hot break gunk just clogs the filter straight away. I've recently solved this one by skimming the hot break as the wort comes to the boil - the thick foamy stuff on the wort just before it boils. I just spoon off as much as I can. At the end of the boil there is way less hot break gunk in the boiler and I can drain it without clogging the filter.

BF845A7B-7CA9-4C4E-88F5-7E2DAA31D569.jpeg
I use one of these with leaf hops. Works perfectly.

I find the more hops in my brew the less waste I get as the hops filter the hot break gunk and stop it clogging up the filter. So with an IPA I manage to drain every last drop of liquid from my boiler.
Biggest problem for me is brews with low hop additions - the hot break gunk just clogs the filter straight away. I've recently solved this one by skimming the hot break as the wort comes to the boil - the thick foamy stuff on the wort just before it boils. I just spoon off as much as I can. At the end of the boil there is way less hot break gunk in the boiler and I can drain it without clogging the filter.

Thats really interesting about removing the hot break! I know lots stir it but i leave mine and it eventually goes back into the wort.
Last batch stuck a 90 degree bend and managed to get all apart from a liter.

Back