Thin bleach

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are worried about bleach taint.A rinse with sulphite (campden) solution will instantly remove all traces of bleach and also act as a second stage sanitizer.So win win.

Of course its important to avoid bleach that contains perfumes,thickeners, and surfactants . Sulphite wont do much against these.

I've just given all my bottles a deep clean for similar reasons. The usual brush clean followed by a 30min soak in a diluted bleach solution, rinsed twice, then filled with water and left to stand for an hour sorted them out: visibly cleaner than ever before, no detectable bleach taste in the beer. In fact, I've done this with the last 3 batches and no problem at all, going to try it on my old pressure barrel now to see if it fixes the issues with that.

I had a brew go bad in a PB, but an overnight soak with some bleach fixed it. I think the surface is slightly porous so it needs a long soak.

With regard to tap water being sterile, you can buy tablets for measuring free chlorine. If you put a DPD1 tablet in a white cup or in a glass on a white surface, any trace of pink shows that there is still some free chlorine in the water. This means there is no bacteria. These tablets can be bought on eBay or from swimming pool/Jacuzzi/hot tub suppliers. You don't need the Lovibond or Palintest comparitor.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lovibond...ts-for-Pool-Spa-Cheapest-on-eBay/372702083899

I give the bath a good clean then fill it up with a few tablespoons of unscented thick bleach and clean all my stuff in that. I rinse everything in the kitchen sink and do a quick taste test as I pour out. No issues so far.

There's a lot of talk about panic rinsing to get rid of the last molecule of bleach, and then sanitising.
It's enough to rinse reasonably well and then rinse again with sodium metabusulphite solution. This will destroy any remaining vestiges of bleach and is, itself, a sanitiser.

There's a lot of talk about panic rinsing to get rid of the last molecule of bleach, and then sanitising.
It's enough to rinse reasonably well and then rinse again with sodium metabusulphite solution. This will destroy any remaining vestiges of bleach and is, itself, a sanitiser.
Yep, bleach -> metabisulphite -> star san. There's not much will survive that sanitising triad, and no worries about chlorine.

Tap water isn't sterile...it's just clean "enough".
I looked at the thin,cheap bleach in Asda yesterday...had "perfume" listed in the ingredients so I left it there ..

DPD tablets, and sodium percarbonate, thin bleach, Fred n Flo baby sterilising tablets, Chem-San and mains water! Why? 😂

There are lots of small reservoirs near me but it's all mains fed and arrives with some free chlorine. We're not really that remote. We have television and electricity but no sewerage or mains gas

Back