Timothy Taylor Landlord clone (extract method)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash

Reaction score
Technically my second extract brew, but first doing it with a boiler (used a small stock pot on the stove last time).

First steeped some black malt using a muslin square with some string tied round it.

SDC10669.jpg

Then brought it fished the grains out before the boil and added malt extract (boiler a bit full, but got away with it)!

SDC10680.jpg

Added hops at the boil (shortly after the pic it was boiling more vigorously). That's Goldings and Styrians in there.

SDC10682.jpg

Garage smelt lovely! Then mini-me came to "help" (pre-sanitation thankfully)! I did explain to him that the drinking age is 18 years not 18 months!

SDC10697.jpg

No more piccies of the rest of the process i'm afraid, I was a bit short of time and had to go and watch Northampton Saints beat Munster :D (rugby union), but i added more styrians and some irish moss 10 mins befoe the end of the boil, chilled the wort using my immersion chiller then transferred to FV and pitched the yeast. 24 hours later i had a peek and it seemed to be fermenting ok.

Nice one,I'm sure it will turn out well. :thumb:

Good win by the Saints by the way.They seem to be playing well at the moment,should be pushing for trophy's this season.

7 days later and still fermenting strong! Thought it might have finished by now, especially with SO4, although past brews have been done in warmer weather, so maybe that's something to do with it. Its keeping at a steady 20 degrees, so ideal really.

Well, I now have a cornie full of TTL + a few bottles; can't believe how clear it is already. I used irish moss, but no other finings prior to bottling/cornieing, so surprised by the clarity at this point. Just got to keep my hands off it until its conditioned properly! Think i might get a Speckled Hen clone on (extract) over the weekend.

Fills you with confidence when it clears nicely doesn't it. Nice one :D

I'm going to be attempting this one tomorrow - it'll be my first extract brew! I've been waiting forever to find time to get an AG brew on, but with refitting the bathroom and holding down a day job it just hasn't happened for a while.

I was going to do a 19 litre batch so that it would fit in a cornie nicely, but I think I may do slightly more and bottle the extra.

SouthSide said:
Fancy this one too, anyone know the exact recipe for TT LL extract clone please?

Its in the Graham Wheeler book Brew Your Own British Ale; sorry, I would be breaking copyright to post it on here. :nono:

Yep. It makes an interesting read, and there are a fair few varied recipes in there, so there're likely to be several recipes to float everyone's boat. Well worth the £9.52 amazon.co.uk appear to be charging for it at the moment, I would say.

My brew went pretty much according to plan - not only was it my first extract brew, it was also my first brew using hop bags because the boiler I was using doesn't have a hop strainer. The only minor mishap was that my bag of late hops sank to the bottom during cooling, and got sucked onto the back of the tap whilst I was draining the wort which slowed things down a little (I didn't have anything sterile to hand that I could prod it away with).

It seems to be bubbling away happily now though :)

Wow. I kegged this on Tuesday (10 days in the fermenter) and it had already cleared in the fermenter! I couldn't wait, so poured myself a pint from the Corny tonight; it tastes awesome - probably closer to actual TTL than the AG version I did a couple of months back, and it's only been 13 days since I pitched the yeast!

The HBS didn't have any S04 in, so I'd picked up a pack of Munton's Gold instead (not entirely sure what it is, other than the fact that I was assured it makes a good substitute) so I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it clearing so well.

But now I realise how good extract brews are, especially given it's achievable in 3 hours beginning to end, I think I'll be doing considerably more of them. I've definitely brewed my last kit :)

That's nice to hear - seeing as I'm just test boiling my newly built 10 gallon boiler. Going to do an OSH clone extract first, then the TTL I reckon!

Unfortunately mine appears to have gone **** up; very sour taste so think its picked up an infection. :cry: Going to leave it a while to see if it improves any, but i think this is drain cleaner!

On the upside the Speckled Hen i did just after this one is coming along very nicely. I bottled 1/2 and put half in a corny on Sunday, and of course sampled some, and it tastes fantastic already!

ash said:
Unfortunately mine appears to have gone **** up; very sour taste so think its picked up an infection. :cry: Going to leave it a while to see if it improves any, but i think this is drain cleaner!

On the upside the Speckled Hen i did just after this one is coming along very nicely. I bottled 1/2 and put half in a corny on Sunday, and of course sampled some, and it tastes fantastic already!

Right, just tasted it again and the off taste seems to have gone, so false alarm i think! Strange it tasted awful before, but its lovely now. :grin:

Latest posts

Back