too eager or a disaster?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The keg has a pressure valve fitted and is supplied with a gauge for reading (the wife got me it for Christmas) Can I use this to indicate carbonation?

Tried pouring a drink and got nothing other than a gas blow. What does that mean?

Tried pouring a drink and got nothing other than a gas blow. What does that mean?

What??

If you got nothing but a glass of foam then carbonation is going almost too well.

If you got nothing but gas coming out then:

o If it's in a King Keg Top Tap it is conceivable that you have managed to fit the internal extension so high that it is out of the liquid. The good news is that carbonation is underway but you may have to "shuggle" the keg around until the off-take goes below the surface; or start over with the carbonation process if you can't get it to submerge. or

o If it's in an ordinary keg you have it upside down! :lol: :lol:

Yes, you can use the pressure gauge to check that carbonation is taking place. The pressure in the keg should rise steadily over the first week or so until either:

o The yeast runs out of sugar, carbonation stops and the pressure stays steady.

o The pressure relief valve on the keg operates, the pressure stays steady but carbonation will require a bit longer. (For me, carbonation is a two week minimum.)

Enjoy.:thumb:

Mmmm, turned the tap and again I got the gas leaving but no brew. So gave it a shake and same result gas o brew. I've opened it up and the internal part is floating half in half out. I assume this must be fully submerged to work properly?

Latest posts

Back