Too many bittering Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have started to brew a Vacant gesture clone.

Maris Otter extra pale 88%
Crisp Wheat malt 9%
Carapils 2.3%

The brew day went reasonably without any problems until the hop additions.
The recipe called for 20.6 g of Callenger at 60 minutes followed by 21g of mosaic at flame out and whirlpool for 30 minutes with two further dry Mosaic hop charges at day 4 and day 7 of 31g each.
Sadly I managed to add the flameout hops at 30 minutes thus increasing my potential IBU’s from 25 to 44.
1.Do I dump it now and start again ?
2. Do I continue with the recipe and stick with the dry hop schedule ?
3. Do I add extra dry hop to try to put back a bit more aroma and flavour ?
All suggestions welcome !

No, 2 things are that the ibu's will mellow with a little maturation and secondly 44 ibu's is not a lot for some people. I would go with it and time will tell you may even like it with a little more bitterness bite too

No, 2 things are that the ibu's will mellow with a little maturation and secondly 44 ibu's is not a lot for some people. I would go with it and time will tell you may even like it with a little more bitterness bite too
You've improved it. Well done.
Don't chuck it even if it does begin to smell like drains. That's just the yeast having a good old fart. It'll clean itself up when it comes out of adolescence.

Well thanks guys This beer has turned out very well and I intend to keep to the amended recipe and brew it again.
Thanks for all your advice 👍
The only problem is that the family like it too ☹️

Well thanks guys This beer has turned out very well and I intend to keep to the amended recipe and brew it again.
Thanks for all your advice 👍
The only problem is that the family like it too ☹
The first lesson I learnt as a homebrewer was to find out what the family don't like and brew that!

Latest posts

Back