Too much concentrate ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Johnston

Reaction score
Hi , being fairly new to making wine, the other day I made some orange and pineapple wine, however I could not find any normal WGJ so I had to buy some concentrate from wilkinsons, whilst making my wine it said to put 185g of WGJ in the mix, this I did then suddenly realised it was concentrate, anyway all seemed to be going well until the wine frothed up and out of the bung and airlock. So I cleaned everything up emptied some of the wine out and left it. It is now bubbling constantly at a very fast rate, is there anything I can do or will it slow down eventually and just leave me with very strong wine.
Cheers.

Hi, welcome to the forum :cheers: .
It will be fine, just let it finish fermenting.
If it tastes a little strong at bottling you can water it down a little (uses boiled and cooled water), but you my like it as it is.

Let's assume this stuff is about the same as Ritchie's red grape concentrate.
500ml of that makes 6 bottles.
You've used a bit more than a third of 500ml, so you have a little over 2 bottles worth of grape, plus your other stuff.
Sounds about right to me!
The escape through the airlock is probably just the usual initial overfilling of the vessel - I still do it sometimes after 3 years in this game. It takes experience to know how much space you need to leave for the first few days, and how soon you can safely top-up

Latest posts

Back