Too much foam

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBandW

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had a bitter in the keg for about a week and thought I'd try a sample but on opening the tap a pint glass filled with foam in a fraction of a second under the pressure - should this calm down over the next few weeks ?

I believe the first fermentation had finished before transferring to the keg and I added approx 4oz sugar to the barrel. There's no CO2 pressure added externally.

Any advise gladly received.

:cheers:

Sorry, that pressure is there for a while yet... once it starts to pour a pint out in one go, that'll be almost the end of the CO2 in the barrel and you'll be resorting to CO2 canisters to top it up. I now pour that first blast, leave it to settle down, top it back up and repeat until I get about 2/3rds of a pint. As the pressure subsides, you can pour more in each "blast"

If you had access to a regulator and a cylinder of CO2, then I presume you could manage the pressure in the barrel?

Well that's been my experience anyway!

I'm told that serving from a length of tube, over the tap, can help this - but I haven't tried it myself yet. That, and perhaps getting it colder for longer.

morethanworts said:
I'm told that serving from a length of tube, over the tap, can help this

+1

exactly what i do except i use a length of rigid siphon tubing into my little bottler tap on the keg (also fits a wilkos keg tap). as the tube is under the beer in the glass you dont get masses of foam on top whilst filling a pint glass in a few seconds rather than minutes

Latest posts

Back