Total Newbie - Looking at equipment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_Lock

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I am just starting to look into home brewing and I am trying to work out what equipment I should purchase. Looking to jump straight into all grain brewing which I know will be a steep learning curve.

I cannot really utilise the kitchen so will be brewing in the garage. As I do not have access to the kitchen, I need to look at the best option in regards to boiling. I was originally looking at something like the Klarstein Maischfest Mash Kettle-https://www.klarstein.co.uk/cl=details&cnid=d5de636772474df01690626dae61c46b&anid=310bdfc7008747d9358767de89cb2c7a&varselid[0]=ce01c0bcac0375f6b3509c8371f3b65a

However, I have also seen the all-in-one systems such as the Brew Devil single vessel all in one micro-brewery system - https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/brew-devil/387-pre-order-deal-50l-brewdevil-microbrewery.html

As I said, I am a total newbie, so I am trying to work out the additional benefit of the all in one systems over just the kettle. Is it worth the additional cost?

Thanks in advance.

Hello to all,

I am just starting to look into home brewing and I am trying to work out what equipment I should purchase. Looking to jump straight into all grain brewing which I know will be a steep learning curve.

I cannot really utilise the kitchen so will be brewing in the garage. As I do not have access to the kitchen, I need to look at the best option in regards to boiling. I was originally looking at something like the Klarstein Maischfest Mash Kettle-https://www.klarstein.co.uk/cl=details&cnid=d5de636772474df01690626dae61c46b&anid=310bdfc7008747d9358767de89cb2c7a&varselid[0]=ce01c0bcac0375f6b3509c8371f3b65a

However, I have also seen the all-in-one systems such as the Brew Devil single vessel all in one micro-brewery system - https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/brew-devil/387-pre-order-deal-50l-brewdevil-microbrewery.html

As I said, I am a total newbie, so I am trying to work out the additional benefit of the all in one systems over just the kettle. Is it worth the additional cost?

Thanks in advance.

The initial purchase of a all-in-one is more expensive, but considering the use of it over a few years with 1 brew per month, it boils down to a few pounds per month more expensive. According to my brewguild mates it's saves hours of time per brew (4 instead of 6), so that's a thing.

There are cheaper and smaller versions of what you consider, have you looked into that?

Hi Chris, you can use it with a mash tun and then do the boil, or mash with a bag then sparge and do your boil and hop additions, I normally stick to 21-23L brews the max line marked inside the kettle is not 30L its 27, I have 4 brews in it and they all turned out ok apart from the first one but that was my fault, also I am not the most experienced brewer on here I would advice taking your time and getting whats best for you

It's looking mighty tempting especially as its on sale at the moment. I've got a glass hob that horribly slow at boiling even 3 litres. I'll do some digging, thanks for the reply :)

Hi Dan
I am trying to work out the additional benefit of the all in one systems over just the kettle. Is it worth the additional cost?
... that's an interesting question, but as GerritT suggested above, with the two links you posted you're no really comparing like for like ... if you wanted to see what extra you get for your money by buying an all in one system, the more direct comparison would probably be between the Klarstein Maischfest Mash Kettle (link) and (sticking with just the products of the Angel Homebrew website you linked to) the 30L Brew Devil Microbrewery (link) ... and basically for the extra £110 with the latter, you get a pump and plumbing to allow recirculation during mashing (which in theory, improves accuracy of mashing control and increases clarity of the wort produced (though whether or not that improves clarity of beer produced is up for debate)) and you get a programmable controller to make multi-step mashes easier and have the machine aid you through your brewday ... but an immersion chiller is not included in the latter which you would either need to add or choose to adopt the "no-chill approach".

Hope that helps
Cheers, PhilB

I use a Burco tea urn and use a boil in the bag method, but like Rodcx500z says the Klarstein is a fine piece of kit, and I wish I had opted for it initially.
With my "Tea urn" option you need a couple of plastic 25l buckets to help things along, but apart from that there is not much outlay.
Importantly it takes things out of the kitchen - where boiling on a cooker is a non starter for me (hours of steam in the kitchen, huge vessels on a hob that was not designed for it, lifting on and off etc...)

I am pretty sure that the all in one systems are much slicker than what I use, but it is relatively cheap and produces exceptional beer (Yes it does !!!).

All the best and watch plenty of you tube and I am sure you will come up with an answer....

I use a Burco tea urn and use a boil in the bag method, but like Rodcx500z says the Klarstein is a fine piece of kit, and I wish I had opted for it initially.
With my "Tea urn" option you need a couple of plastic 25l buckets to help things along, but apart from that there is not much outlay.
Importantly it takes things out of the kitchen - where boiling on a cooker is a non starter for me (hours of steam in the kitchen, huge vessels on a hob that was not designed for it, lifting on and off etc...)

I am pretty sure that the all in one systems are much slicker than what I use, but it is relatively cheap and produces exceptional beer (Yes it does !!!).

All the best and watch plenty of you tube and I am sure you will come up with an answer....
Hi Davvy, it is a good bit of kit I don,t regret buying it only done 4 brews in it so far, prob not the best brews on the planet but it can only get better, enjoy your ale acheers.acheers.

Personally Id highly recommend first doing one or two kits. All grain takes a lot of time and you dont want to make a basic mistake with fermentation or bottling after spending all that time brewing. I did 2 kits then moved onto all grain and very glad I did. I learned loads about the process from the kits so felt a bit more confident when I moved onto all grain. Anything you buy to make the kits can be used when you move up so nothing lost.

Back