Toucan - My thoughts...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsparky99

Newbie kit brewer
Reaction score
So I've completed two toucan brews recently and found mixed results....

The first was the Black Rock Craft Witbier - I used two cans as that's the deal I got from an online seller. The can actually stated you could used 1.7kg of liquid malt or a second can for a more intense flavour. Well after a fairly standard brew using the kit yeast (both sachets, 10gs total) + 250g of brew enhancer No.1 (always add a bit of this to get the head just right) and leaving it for about 6 weeks in the bottle. It was really nice, had a slight cloudiness to it and perfect head. Tasted like a wheat/wit beer should and could get the orange aroma coming through. The kit yeast seemed to work really well. The guinea pigs at work all enjoyed it a lot!

So one toucan that really worked well and would highly recommend.

On to a mash of two kits and it was a Coopers Lager with a Coopers AIPA. Used extra malt (370g Merdian) + 250g Brew Enhancer No.1, CMF Kolsch yeast 10g and dry hopped with 25g Pacifica. It was fermented & then lagered for about 4 weeks and been in the bottle 6 weeks. I did taste this early (about 2 weeks in) and found it to be overly bitter and a bit alcholy(bad English, but you know what I mean). The flavour wasn't great.

I tasted it last night and it's got better, but not by much. It's got a rather bitter/alcohol start to it and then it subsides into a generic ale taste. No sign of hops at all. It was drinkable and people will probably like it, but overall I wouldn't bother with this kind of toucan.

I've got a proper two can kit (Wherry) coming up so that will interesting.

I've got a proper two can kit (Wherry) coming up so that will interesting.

It's human nature that when comparing two beers, you will always get one better than the other!

With regard to the Wherry, it's so prone to "sticking" at around the 1.020 mark that "interesting" probably isn't the word your looking for! :laugh8:

Enjoy! :thumb:

Back