Trouties IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutie

Reaction score
My first play with a recipe its sort of a yorkshire version of one I have seen on the interweb
called Mary Jane IPA

I have the ingredients ordered from The Malt Miller then got cold feet so am asking for the experienced brewers opinions
will it work and be drinkable

Original Gravity (OG): 1.074 (°P): 18.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.017 (°P): 4.3
Alcohol (ABV): 7.44 %
Colour (SRM): 7.4 (EBC): 14.6
Bitterness (IBU): 40.2 (Average)

65.82% Golden Promise Malt
13.16% Crystal 10
13.16% Vienna
5.34% Golden syrup
2.51% Wheat Malt

0.9 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.9 g/L Centennial (9.7% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Danstar Nottingham

I hate it when recipes are in percentages...... :D I like weights !

I'd drop the amount of crystal slightly although I've never brewed with crystal 10 ( my normal crystal use is crystal 80 and the dark crystal 120 )
however you should really keep the use of crystal to about 10% max, but its your beer.
7.4% is rather strong as well in my opinion, it will take several weeks to mature to its best.

Personally I would drop out the golden syrup all it will do is thin the beer. I would reduce the crystal and vienna to 5% and increase the wheat to five. Hopefully the abv will be reduced to about 5.5% which coupled with that hop schedule and IBU's it should be spot on. :thumb: :thumb:

If you do want to keep it at 7.5% increase the pale malt and the bittering hops to give 50 IBU's. Finally I would add 30g of cascade as a dry hop post fermentation as volatile oils and aroma can be driven off during fermentation just like in a boil.

Thats my thoughts.

:thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
Personally I would drop out the golden syrup all it will do is thin the beer. I would reduce the crystal and vienna to 5% and increase the wheat to five. Hopefully the abv will be reduced to about 5.5% which coupled with that hop schedule and IBU's it should be spot on. :thumb: :thumb:

If you do want to keep it at 7.5% increase the pale malt and the bittering hops to give 50 IBU's. Finally I would add 30g of cascade as a dry hop post fermentation as volatile oils and aroma can be driven off during fermentation just like in a boil.

Thats my thoughts.

:thumb: :thumb:
Isn't the.addition of golden syrup going to add more body? The sugar will be converted into alcohol which increases body. However, the beer will have less body than if the same percentage abv were achieved using malt due to the extra unfermentable sugars added as a result.
This is why using sugars in big beers is good because otherwise you can get a highly cloying beer.
More alcohol = more body. Or have I been looking at this wrong all this time?

Thanks some interesting replies to ponder now
I do like the odd strong pale ale and was going to bottle this one and condition for a good while .

graysalchemy said:
Body is due to unfermentables not alcohol :thumb: :thumb:

I was sure body can be increased by both unfermentables and alcohol. ?

No that is why if you want a beer with more body you mash at a higher temp to get more unfermentables.

So are you saying that if you added straight ethanol to a beer, it wouldn't increase the body? It would lower it?

robsan77 said:
This is why using sugars in big beers is good because otherwise you can get a highly cloying beer.
More alcohol = more body. Or have I been looking at this wrong all this time?

I believe so. What you refer to as "cloying" is an excess of those unfermentible sugars, maltodextrins, which makes big beer thick and sweet. (Which is great in an imperial stout IMO!)

You use the raw, 100% fermentible sugar, to produce alcohol with no residual sweetness which not only reduces the maltodextrin levels from the mash (because you mash less), it also has a "thinning" effect too.

As I understand it if you split the runnings from a mash and add sugar to one half then that beer would end up with less body and flavour than the lesser strength one.

:thumb:

I find this very interesting. I was party to an experiment where miller genuine draft had ethanol added to various strengths. The results on mouthfeel were that the stronger samples had more and felt thicker. It was a great improvement to the original sample!

Mmm seem to have caused some debate here :shock:

Revised the recipe to keep the ABV and bin the Syrup working in the constraints of the grain ordered from MM

Mary Jane IPA
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 7.748
Total Hops (g): 105.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.074 (°P): 18.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.019 (°P): 4.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.27 %
Colour (SRM): 7.2 (EBC): 14.2
Bitterness (IBU): 51.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Golden Promise Malt (64.53%)
1.000 kg Vienna (12.91%)
1.000 kg Wheat Malt (12.91%)
0.748 kg Crystal 10 (9.65%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g Centennial Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g Centennial Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 45 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
25.0 g Cascade Leaf (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)
30.0 g Cascade Leaf (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.3 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

personally I think the wheat Malt is still a little high, ( personal preference )

piddledribble said:
personally I think the wheat Malt is still a little high, ( personal preference )

Would you suggest half a KG instead.

Also just realized I did not order any yeast and wanted to brew this weekend
any suggestions on yeast for this brew need to order it today

Sa4 or Sa5 as dried yeasts
or as a liquid yeast Burton Ale Yeast WLP023

Is that actually Crystal 10? What is the srm/lov or ebc for it? If it is that light I would worry less about the high percentage. That said I would still drop it to 500g. I would also drop the wheat to 500g and up the GP to keep your OG where you want it. I would also up the bitterness (is that rager or tinseth?) a bit (at least 60IBU for that OG in an IPA) if I was using my set up which doesn't have the strongest of boils but you will know more about how your system works with the figures from whatever softwear you prefer.

For yeast I would use US05 or the West Coast Ale for dried (I haven't tried this one yet but I hear good things)
I wouldn't use SO4 personally.

A dry English yeast like wlp023 (as suggested) would also work well. I've had good results with a cascadian/black IPA with minimal roast flavours using wyeast thames valley which is supposed to be the same strain as wlp023

robsan77 said:
I find this very interesting. I was party to an experiment where miller genuine draft had ethanol added to various strengths. The results on mouthfeel were that the stronger samples had more and felt thicker. It was a great improvement to the original sample!
I think alcohol will up mouthfeel but the same rise in ethanol from malt (as opposed to simple sugars) will be accompanied by unfermentables as graysalchemy points out so it will give more mouthfeel than pure ethanol. I don't know what this would all do to your FG as I assume the unfermentables will raise the density of the fluid but I think alcohol lowers it (I could be totally wrong about that though)

I too would drop the crystal and wheat back to about 5% and compensate with Pale malt so that the pale accounts for 70% of the Grist.

You definately want a clean yeast US05 is ideal.

Personally I think your bitterness will be fine. :thumb:

Thanks again every one

Please explain why drop the Crystal and Wheat for a noob brewer.

Would I be OK using the Yeast from my Old peculier brew going in the keg this weekend
it was Nottingham

Back