Trying to understand...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druid

Reaction score
Is there a calculation that I can use to figure out what weight of fermentables I would need (approx.) to make 3 gallons of 5(ish) % beer? I found a couple calculators that I cannot at this point figure out how to use, but it most likely has to do with my limited brewing knowledge. Im thinking that my 1.7 kg kit can of malt + a bit more (???) should allow it, but I am too daft to figure it out. My other option ( if Im starting to understand any of this) is to bring my can of malt and water up to 3 gallons and then start adding sugar/malts until my OG gets to around 1.05 +. Is this a viable method? or am I going to have 3 gallons of regret?

Dave

Understanding the maths of volume / fermentables is tricky, thats why i have beer smith. you could try brewers friend or some of the other online recipe generators, remember that what ever can of extract you have it has the same fermentablilty as ordinary LME so just list as LME in your recipe and build on it. Of course you can just add sugar at the end of the brew to bring it to the desired OG as long as you are confident the sugar is sterile and you make damned sure its all dissolved.

Just been on brewers friend and its pretty easy. 1.7kg LME + 500g corn sugar brewed to 15L comes out at 4.9% abv

Thanks. In time I will understand this to a greater degree (which should eliminate some of the daft questions ) but Im sure that I will have more..:doh: . At his point I don't want large volumes, just want tasty beer, and then learn how to improve them. I am reading about 2 hours a day right now trying to get my head around this...so in time........

Dave

Latest posts

Back