Turbo Cider Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackthelad

Reaction score
Hi, I started my first TC the other day. I'm using 4.5l of tesco value apple juice 250g of sugar (for a strong brew!) And muntons brewing yeast.

The night I added the yeast after about 5 hours or so fermentation started and had the usual large froth on top and by the morning that had died down, its still bubbling/fizzing 5 days later but every video I have seen online of TC there's seems to have loads of rising bubbles, mine has a constant fizz and has been going constantly for 5 days but its no where near as active as there's.

Could this be the yeast I'm using and will this affect the cider in any way? Shall I wait until the bubbles stop and then rack off?

Also If any one could give me a rough percentage of alcohol content I should expect in my TC that would be helpful. I understand it depends on the aj but a estimate would be appreciated.

Ohh right thanks for a quick reply mate, this forum is excellent for quick information!

No regrettably I didn't take a reading as my hydrometer wasn't sanitised and at the time and I was in a rush to get the TC started, I will do next time though.

Also with my next brew I want to add a pack of twinings fresh and fruity tea bags to it, how is the best way to do that?

I was going to boil a litre of the aj in a pan with 10-15 tea bags in for half hour or so, do you think that's the best way? And I take it, it doesn't matter that the tea bags haven't been sanitised because the aj will be boiled after the bags have been taken out?

Hope this makes sense and thanks for your help :cheers:

Thanks mate that would be handy, there is 513g of sugar in the 4.5l if i worked it out correctly :?

Also if any one could help me with how i should go about adding twinings tea bags to my TC that would be very helpfull :thumb:

By adding tea bags i presume you are wishing to add tannin which will give it bite? If so you could just make a cup full of very strong tea or boiling the tea bags in a small volume of water. You basically want to end up with something that you couldn't possible drink. The easier way is to go to your local homebrew shop and buy some tannin powder and add 1 teaspoon full to 4.5l. The other thing that would improve your cider is to add malic acid again at 1 tsp per gallon. you can make both of these additions now with no problems.

However even with these additions your cider will taste rather insipid more akin to cheap super market cider (and more expensive). What you need to do is leave it for 2-3 months preferably 6 before you bottle it and you will be left with wonderful cider more like a proper cider than cheap tramp juice.

:cheers: :cheers:

Enjoy

I was thinking more of adding flavour but thanks for the info!

I've boiled up about 10 fruity tea bags in a small amount of water and left on the side to cool down, I'm on my way to lidl for apple juice and tesco's for a 5 litre bottle then I'm going to start my second TC!

Cheers for the advice guys

graysalchemy said:
However even with these additions your cider will taste rather insipid more akin to cheap super market cider (and more expensive). What you need to do is leave it for 2-3 months preferably 6 before you bottle it and you will be left with wonderful cider more like a proper cider than cheap tramp juice.

Enjoy

Will the Malic acid have no effect if bottled? or does it need to stay in the FV?

Just got everything in the FV, only used a small amount of the tea I boiled up as it looked super strong, i had a swig of the aj and the tea together and it tasted nice so fingers crossed it comes out nice! :drink:

Cononthebarber said:
graysalchemy said:

Enjoy

Will the Malic acid have no effect if bottled? or does it need to stay in the FV?

Good question malic acid under goes malolactic fermentation due to a bacteria which contaminates the cider when it matures. Mine last lot was under airlock and became infected so whether it would happen in the bottle I don't know. I know that wine can undergo malolactic fermentation in the bottle so as long as it had the bacteria then yes.

Malic acid adds a twang to the cider but is a bit strong when it under goes malolactic fermentation it is converted to lactic acid and other by products including co2. It is an important component of cider along with tannin.

Back