Turbo cider recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinleycat said:
Foam completely gone after 48 hours, is it too late to add some yeast nutrient? Got 30g from Wilkos for 80p
Im going to be checking gravity friday & saturday, i am assuming that two weeks in the FV should be enough (like beer & lager) and then bottling.
1 litre bottles primed with 1 sweetex (5g equiv) and two teaspoons sugar (10g).

10g a litre will probably result in a lava lamp fountain. 6-7g/L would be more appropriate.

I would also leave it to mature in bulk for a few weeks even if you are not doing the MLF thing.

All cider needs time in the bottle and in bulk to develope the flavour.

Don't rush it, you will be disappointed if you do.

Mine has been in the DJ for 2 and a half weeks and is only just starting to clear so definately give it at least the 3 weeks, though as GA said the longer you can leave it in bulk the better. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
10g a litre will probably result in a lava lamp fountain. 6-7g/L would be more appropriate.

I would also leave it to mature in bulk for a few weeks even if you are not doing the MLF thing.

I planned to bottle it and forget it, what do you mean by mature in bulk - leave it in the FV/another FV for longer and if so for how much longer?

LeedsBrewer said:
Mine has been in the DJ for 2 and a half weeks and is only just starting to clear so definately give it at least the 3 weeks, though as GA said the longer you can leave it in bulk the better. :thumb:
I think you may have answered my previous question. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:

Checked the gravity earlier and it is down to 1002, will it go any lower (it will have been in the FV for two weeks tomorrow)?
It tastes well naff so will definitely be getting longer in the hope that the naff-ness improves.

Kinleycat said:
graysalchemy said:

Checked the gravity earlier and it is down to 1002, will it go any lower (it will have been in the FV for two weeks tomorrow)?
It tastes well naff so will definitely be getting longer in the hope that the naff-ness improves.

Hey, im new here bit thought i'd add my two cents and say hi to all you cider lovers. Firstly it will get better with time so dont worry about it just be patient.
When i made a tc like this it fermented out to sub 10, but as long as your readings are constant over a few days might as well leave it there and rack to mature, jobs done.

graysalchemy said:

I've been reading up on the old MLF carry on.
Will this brew benefit from it as its intended to be a lady drink/alcopop/koppaberg thingy?

Kinleycat said:
graysalchemy said:

Still at 1002 after three more days so its bottled in 750 ml bottles with two sweetex and 5g of sugar.
It looks "well girly!!!"

Kinleycat said:
Will this brew benefit from it as its intended to be a lady drink/alcopop/koppaberg thingy?

If its intended as an alcopop then get it bottled and supped, however If want it to taste of something then please leave it alone in a secondry Fv for a month or so then bottle it and leave it again. If you decide in the future to go down the MLF then leave for six months bottle and leave for a few more months. I have got some which is getting ion for 18mths old in total and it is tasting rather good.

graysalchemy said:
Kinleycat said:

If its intended as an alcopop then get it bottled and supped, however If want it to taste of something then please leave it alone in a secondry Fv for a month or so then bottle it and leave it again. If you decide in the future to go down the MLF then leave for six months bottle and leave for a few more months. I have got some which is getting ion for 18mths old in total and it is tasting rather good.
I'm definitely gonna give a more traditional cider ago.
What difference does bulk maturing in a FV make that bottled maturing doesn't?
As for the MLF, I understand the science bit, how does it stay good in the FV though for so long, does the FV have auto be completely airtight as I'm pretty sure mine aren't.

Bulk maturing is always best for wine and cider, the bigger the volume the more chance of flavours developing. As for mlf as long as they are covered then they will be fine. The lactobacillus keep everything else out. :thumb:

Hi there been thinking about doing a tc and wondered if when fermentation is finished do you need to rack to another vessel to bulk age for the malolactic fermentation or can you leave i the same fermenter? also is it fine to bulk age for the malolactic fermentation at garage temperature?

Hi there i was thinking of making a tc and wondered if you need to rack off to another fermenter for bulk ageing or can you justeave it in the original one? Also to get malolactic fermentation is it ok to leave cider in the garage or does it need to be kept warm?

The raspberry TC is a big hit with Mrs KC and its only been in conditioning for three days. :thumb:
She's put the wine down and is on her second bottle of TC.
Maybe now she'll get this home brewing lark :cheers: :party:

Ill say the longer I've left TC the better it gets, regardless of recipe. + It does bring the other half on board with my brewing hobby.
My fave TC so far is:
Any good apple juice4.5 l
Good squeeze of honey
Good strong mug of tea
Half bottle of elderflower cordial (can barely taste in end product)
Lush!!
Take that tax man!

Hi, started my turbo cider in Nov, and its been sat maturing in the dj since Dec, it now smells like cider instead of something rank :O It is still cloudy, but then I used cloudy apple juice, do I take a reading now and then bottle it? It is still fermenting, as the water in the air lock is still out. I have 5ooml plastic screw top bottles so they don't explode, so about 3g of sugar per bottle? Then I plan to put it away again until the summer. :party:

Hi,

Surely it cant be still fermenting after 5 months?? It must be conditioning after this long?

Gonna start my TC at the weekend, got a good deal @ Lidl, 2ltr of %100 apple juice for £1.35. :clap:

Oh, I have no idea, I just assumed when the water is pushed right up one side of the airlock, that its still producing gas so still fermenting............ I have only done wines, and my plum have started to ferment again as its warmed up over the last week or so.

Latest posts

Back