Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best practice is to spin the hydrometer to dislodge the bubbles as the extra buoyancy will cause a higher reading.
In reality it's difficult to stop the bubbles forming on the hydrometer though.

Yeah thats what I was doing, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't taking some mad reading! :D

Im thinking about racking at about 1017, leave it settle for a few days, throw it into the
fridge, and enjoy it flat... Does that sound ok?

With turbo cider the original idea was to create a really quick cider with the minimum of fuss :thumb:
What you have decided to do will be entirely in keeping with the TC ethic :D

She's at 1034 now... (3.7%)

Still fizzing away, had a good sniff and smells lovely!
I'll wait to have a taste until tomorrow maybe... ;)

I actually have a question... :D

When im going to rack the TC, I'll throw in a few camdens to the racking vessel...
Im guessing that buy stunning the yeast for a few weeks this will halt fermentation and not
produce any CO2? I want to drink it flat but I was also wondering about storage of the TC
in a couple of spare DJ's I have lying around. Is it safe to store TC in one and throw it into the fridge?
I dont want any explosions near my steaks! :eek: :D

Thanks!

Ben.

if you're putting it in Demi's it might pay to leave the lid loose, or even leave their airlocks on. DJ's cant take an ounce of pressure! or at least the one's i've handled.

:?: :?: :?:

Is it worth keeping the yeast that has collected in the first FV for maybe another batch of TC?
What im asking here is can the yeast which has collected at the bottom of the FV be
transported into another container along with some apple juice and rock a new batch?

Ben.

It can be reused - and you'll get a flyer of a fermentation with it :party:

The best way to do this is por the new batch directly onto the yeast 'cake' that is left behind as soon as you have racked the previous brew off it.

To do it a few days after involves washing the yeast - there are posts about this in "Grains, Hops, Yeast & Water"

:thumb:

Having read this thread from front to back and back to front, I have my first TC in the Fv but this time SWMBO has done everything as I hate the stuff so it's all down to her :shock: It will be kegged and stored cold for a couple of weeks and using Potassuim sorbate to stop the yeast. Thanks for a great Thread Brewstew!!! :cheers:

Turbo cider was a bit of a mystery untill I read this thread front to back, got a pretty good idea of how things work now.

So its either a flat scrumpy style or a corny forced carbonation sparkling style, cool i can deal with that

From what i've read it's about making cheap cider and use household sugar as the fermentable sugar saving sweetness and appliness of the juice for flavour and aroma.

Used to go shoppin at a health food store with mum when i was young, we never used to have fizzy drinks or squash, "ooow too much sugar cant have that", but i do have pretty good teeth to be fair. anyhow, we used to buy concentrated apple juice by the litre. One thing i dont get is why you dont use cider yeast. if get it right you use standard ale yeast the cant stop fermenting, so what are cider yeast and why would/wouldnt you use them?

I get the catch 22 situation, if you bottle it and prime it, it uses all available sugars making it dry and the lossing apple nose/taste, on serving instead of adding apple juice why not a shot of concentrate. futhermore why use sugar why you can add pure concentrate instead of sugar? also it could be used to make session ciders instead of rocket fuel, nothin wrong with rocket fuel if you want to get to the moon!!!!

Hi aeddon,
I personally don't add sugar to my TC I think that with a starting gravity of 1.045 for basic apple juice fermenting to dryness giving 6% abv it's going to be strong enough :thumb:
There are cider yeasts out there to be used, Youngs do a dried cider yeast which is OK but as it's a champagne variant it does produce very dry cider. The other available cider yeast is Whitelabs wlp775 but as it costs more than the fermentable ingredients if you make 5 litres, it is cost prohibitive if you are making a cheap fun drink. But the results are fantastic :party:
Adding a slug of apple juice to a glass of TC before drinking is a great way of adding back apple flavour and is swmbo's favourite method of consumption :thumb:

Cheers,

i got some apple concentrate and also a bottle of lemon and elderflower cordial too, will do a small batch with and one without.

The homebrew shop had ran out of saf04 so got a packet of Windsor Brewing Yeast and a packet of Mountons Gold Yeast, any advice on which one if any could use?

To be honest and this may surprise you, I would save those yeasts for ales, go to the supermarket and buy a tub of bread yeast :shock: just use 1tsp per 5 litres and it'll last for about 10 brews :party:
It will ferment just as well and surprisingly it leaves more of an apple presence :thumb:

To be honest and this may surprise you, I would save those yeasts for ales, go to the supermarket and buy a tub of bread yeast :shock: just use 1tsp per 5 litres and it'll last for about 10 brews :party:
It will ferment just as well and surprisingly it leaves more of an apple presence :thumb:

Right - that's in the note book - nice one :thumb: BTW can I do a turbo cider with a snap on lid or do I really need a bubbler air lock?

snap on lid should be fine, im using 5ltr mineral water bottles, one with airlock, the other with a thin slice with a razor blade in the lid

i quite like turbo cider and the fruity versions
im making my 4th batch at the moment,ive given a fair bit away
so far ive only used bread yeast as i like it quite sweet
ive tried the 5ltr aj/grated bramley/tinned pineapple and tea
5ltr aj/5 tins of peaches plus honey,2ltr tropical fruit juice,3ltr apple
im now doing 3ltr of tropical juice with 2 apple and 200g of sugar
think the peach was my favourite so far but the tropical fruit batch is tasting better by the day tastes a bit bitter/sour at first

There's some great advice on here. I've just started my first ever TC with 20L Sainsbury's Apple Juice made from concentrate (8L for £5 = £12.50) and after TS's post I've gone for their bread yeast too (8x7g sachets for 79p = 20p) - I used 2 sachets - is that enough? :wha: I didn't add sugar and got an OG of 1050. I'm not sure what attenuation I can expect from my bread yeast though - I would like a cider anywhere between 4.5% and 6.5% so long as it tastes nice (and the missus likes it - if she does, it'll make my life easier :pray: ).

Cheers for your reply toasted, but I already got the airlock as I was told I needed it from my LHBS. I'm a little concerned now though, as I don't want it overly sweet. I'm not normally a cider-man (not a man made out of cider, but a man who drinks cider :) ) but I do like my wines crisp and dry - am I'm now a little concerned that the bread yeast will make it a sweet cider.

I plan to prime when bottling to make it sparkling - should I use a full teaspoon with cider? Your advice, as always, is gratefully received. :thumb:

Cheers :cheers:

2 sachets should be fine , i used 1 tea spoon for 5lr
ive just been waiting a week and then adding another litre of aj and putting it in the fridge to try and stop it fermenting a bit so its still pretty sweet
i think most people just add a litre of aj instead of sugar to prime it and if you let it fully ferment out it should still be pretty dry
i think wine or champagne yeast is better for more of a dry cider?
i reckon itl be fine with the bread yeast though

Latest posts

Back