Turbo yeast sugar wine temp?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikes1992

Reaction score
I've got the pure turbo yeast. Does it matter if the temp is a little high compared to the 18-24c target for brewing upto 20% in 7-10 days?

I didn't realise how much internal heat this yeast would generate. The air temp in my brewing cupboard is about 24c. After the first day the water temp had risen to 31.6c... It has now dropped to 28c. I'm considering taking it out as my house stays around 19c, I just don't really have any free space where it won't get knocked.

I don't mind waiting extra time if it'll just slow it down but I don't really want the yeast to stop or be stressed and be left with an extremely sweet and/or a very yeasty sugar wine

Are these temps acceptable to reach 20%?

I've used turbo yeast many times and @ 20c ambient temp the temp of your "sugar wash" will be about 4c-5c higher for the first day or two then start to settle down.

If you're trying to get a clean taste forget the turbo yeast, at best it will have bit of a a nasty yeast taste. You are better using a good champagne yeast and sugar feeding, you can get a clean tasting result of up to 18% this way.

If you're using the wash for something that can't be talked about on this site. then don't worry about the off tastes as this can be carbon filtered out after the "other process' " have been completed. ;)

My last temperature reading was 26℃. If its lower when I get home from work I might just leave it. I can't imagine being 1-2℃ over the recommended temp is massive problem?

Should be fine.

Just for reference, even with tight temp control I've only achieved >19% with turbo yeast when sugar feeding. It's not really worth the effort as it always as a less than desirable taste, better to go for a couple of % less and use champagne yeast as mentioned above.

Latest posts

Back