Tweeked kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko

Reaction score
Hi all
Apart from the Coopers stout what is the best tweeked kit you'e made?

Cheers

Dicko

All my recent kits have been from geterbrewed, and are all configured as I go.
Light malt, amber malt, choice of hops, choice of bittering etc
So I get what I want every time.

Latest is a really heavy brown ale in the style of the traditional newky brown

As of late, a Wilko Sweet Newkie Brown, brewed to 6% with UK Cascade and Fuggles. I've brewed this kit 3 times now and always liked the beer and will be getting another one to do soon.

June 2016 - Wilco Pilsner Kit and added six Birdseye Chillies. Very nice as chilli flavour developed as the brew conditioned. I now have a bottle of home made Chilli Vodka (Smirnoff Vodka with eight Birdseye Chillies steeped in it for a month). I occasionally add a thimbleful to ordinary beer to give it a "kick" in winter.:thumb:June 2016 - Coopers Lager Kit Cold Hopped with Cascade Pellets after one week of fermentation. Very nice!

August 2017 - Wilco Pilsner with Lowicz Cherry Syrup instead of sugar. Superb tasting brew ideal for summer. Only problems were that the taste didn't develop until well after summer was passed and the syrup took ages to ferment. I transferred it to the PB too early and as a result, the PB didn't need CO2 added for the whole brew!

Most Novembers - Added the pulp/juice/extract from cheap (after Halloween) Pumpkins to Wilco Cerveza, Pilsner and Golden Ale Kits. Also added Spices on a couple of occasions. Always had the "pumpkin" taste and generally finished by the end of the following January. (The exception being last years Spiced Ale where the taste of added cloves is only just receding enough to enjoy the brew.)

I think I will take a break from "experimental" brews for a few months - or until I get bored again!:gulp:

My go-to kit is Coopers Australian Pale Ale. Ideal for minimashes with a short hop boil, crystal malt additions, and dry hopping/hop teas. I usually use Cascade as the additional hop but have also used EKG, First Gold and Styrian Goldings with this kit

Back