Ukraine: Russia has launched 'full-scale invasion'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So he doesn't play by the rules but we should believe what he's saying? And we should believe that he can threaten us even though the cream of the Russian army has been eviscerated by Ukraine by an order of at least 3 to 1. Ukraine who have only really got their **** together as a fighting force since this whole thing began in 2014. And by accounts, 9 out of 10 rubles he budgeted for his army and the takeover of Ukraine got pocketed by his generals and the FSB. Not a good look chipster.

So he doesn't play by the rules but we should believe what he's saying?

I am not saying we should believe everything he says what I said is the **** is going to hit the fan before this war ends and we will be dragged in if we are not very careful.
We have not set up a no fly zone because of the risk of us getting dragged in what do we do if he says he will use nukes the next time one of his tanks or aircraft is blown up by one of the anti tank or aircraft missiles we have sent.

The Kyiv Independent
Former head of Russian Foreign Intelligence Service dies.
Vyacheslav Trubnikov, ex-head of the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service and ambassador to India, died on April 18 at the age of 77, the Russian state-run TASS news agency reported.
The cause of death is unknown.

Reactions: HSD
Two British men reportedly captured by Russian forces while fighting in Ukraine have appeared on Russian state TV appealing to Boris Johnson for help.

1650307238312.png

Shaun Pinner, 48, and Aiden Aslin, 28, were shown in two separate videos on Monday, asking to be exchanged with a pro-Russian politician held in Ukraine.

It is not clear if their pleas to the prime minister, shown on the Rossiya 24 channel, were made under duress.

The Foreign Office called on the Kremlin to treat prisoners humanely.

A source from the department condemned "the exploitation of prisoners of war for political purposes".

In the two clips, Mr Aslin and Mr Pinner address the prime minister, asking to be exchanged for pro-Kremlin politician Viktor Medvedchuk. In his video, Mr Aslin speaks while an unidentified man stands over him.

Mr Medvedchuk has also appeared in a video, released by Ukraine's intelligence service.

Both Britons had been living in Ukraine before it was invaded and have Ukrainian partners.

They had both been serving as marines in Ukraine's military.

In an earlier social media video Mr Pinner, who is originally from Bedfordshire, gives his name and says he was fighting in the besieged port city of Mariupol before being captured.

He says he is now in the breakaway Donetsk People's Republic area in eastern Ukraine. Again, it is not clear if he was speaking under duress.

The family of Mr Pinner say he is a "funny, much-loved, well-intentioned" man.

They said they are hoping for a quick resolution to his situation.

They called for him and Mr Aslin to be treated in accordance with the Geneva Convention.

The convention includes treating them humanely and prohibiting humiliating and degrading treatment.

In a statement, Mr Pinner's family said he was a "well-respected" soldier in the British Army before he moved to Ukraine four years ago to use his previous experience and training with the Ukrainian military.

He is a "proud member of his unit" in the Ukrainian Marines, they said.

"Shaun enjoyed the Ukrainian way of life and considered Ukraine as his adopted country over the last four years. During this time, he met his Ukrainian wife who is very focussed on the humanitarian needs of the country," they said.

Mr Pinner's three-year contract was due to expire at the end of the year and he was planning to enter a humanitarian role in the country, according to his family.

"Shaun is a funny, much-loved, well-intentioned husband, son, father, brother and friend to many," they said.

"We are hoping for a quick resolution to allow Shaun and Aiden to return safely to their families and we ask for privacy at this difficult time.

"Our hearts go out to all those caught up in this horrific conflict."

A Foreign Office source said it was aware of the detention of two British nationals and had been in touch with their families to support them, adding that it was advising against all travel to Ukraine.

Former care worker Mr Aslin, who has a Ukrainian fiancée and dual citizenship, is also believed to have been captured in Mariupol.

Fighting has continued in the city despite an ultimatum from Moscow for the remaining fighters to give up.

Ukraine's Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal said the defenders would fight to the end against Russian forces.

Mariupol is seen as a major strategic prize for Russia as it would gain control of a vast swathe of southern and eastern Ukraine.

The situation for civilians in the city is desperate, with homes destroyed and widespread water shortages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61139735

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-april-18
Looks like the second phase of the War in Ukraine has begun with the Russian attempting to annex the Donbas region.
However, the Institute for the Study for War is sceptical at the quality of the Russian units involved in the offensive, their unit cohesion and morale.
Russia is therefore likely to try to achieve its aims through weight of numbers and overwhelming firepower.
Bleak outlook for civilians trapped in the area.

Posted on twitter supposedly showing a Russian oil depot being attacked, many Ukrainians are accusing Russia of a false flag attack.

My question - why would you put a camera there?

What amazes me is simply:

“Why would anyone want to take over a city or town that they have totally destroyed?

Even more so when they claim that they are liberating the people!”

I’m sorry, but whoever does that is either totally mad or totally immature in my eyes!

What amazes me is simply:

“Why would anyone want to take over a city or town that they have totally destroyed?

Even more so when they claim that they are liberating the people!”

I’m sorry, but whoever does that is either totally mad or totally immature in my eyes!
It would not be the first time anyone does that, on any side in any war...
And considering Russias incompetence and dysfunctional maintenance of equipment, their air force seems to be rather ill maintained and barely functional, as their anti air systems.
It would not surprise me if most of their ICBM's would not take off should the button be pushed.
Then again it's hard to sift through all the disinfo and propaganda, both Russian and from our side, Russians are pushing their narrative of flawless operations and the Kiev fiasco just being a tactical withdrawal and our side doing the same about any actions taken by the Ukrainians, you never read about when they get their ***** pushed in.

I think I have some info to conclude though, Russia overstretched trying to go for Kiev, they got bloodied pretty bad and have to forget about that city for the time being, Ukraine is making a lot stiffer resistance than they anticipated, Ukraine have been pushing back Russians in the Kiev region and won some local tactical victories, regaining control of towns and villages.
However, Russia is steadily creeping forward in the East and South, and I suspect Ukraines counter attacks may not always be the success stories we are lead to believe.
Russia has shown some serious issues regarding maintenance of equipment, morale and gear for their soldiers, but then again we do not know how widespread this is, or if it is mostly captured/defeated second rate units sent in to areas where they have been expecting barely any resistance, and these are then being presented as representative of ALL Russian army units.
The whole thing seems rather badly planned and lead though, I will admit that.
The Russians are seemingly a lot less capable than I personally believed when the war began, Ukraine is putting up a heroic fight, but frankly when you look beyond the medias spin of it all, things look pretty bleak for Ukraine.
I suspect all they can do is keep fighting and make this whole thing too costly for Russia to keep up, which will likely happen soon unless some drastic evolvement, but that means an Ukrainian phyrric victory...
Pardon my rant...

I’m sorry, but whoever does that is either totally mad or totally immature in my eyes

I dont think he intended to destroy the place when he started as he assumed it would be over in a few days he failed miserably so is now determined to bomb them into submission which is also failing.

I dont think he intended to destroy the place when he started as he assumed it would be over in a few days he failed miserably so is now determined to bomb them into submission which is also failing.

I agree, but he did the same when he “helped out” in Syria; and who would want to live in what we see of Aleppo?

Mr Putin seems to act like a child throwing a dummy out its pram. It’s a shame that his tantrums result in so much misery and death, for Russians as well as Ukrainians.

I think Putin beat him to it!
Swiss were vetoing the re-export of its ammo whilst banking the Russian billions.
Its about time Europe turned on the Swiss, they have been hiding dirty money for years and been "Neutral"

What would a leader have to do, what visible behavior would need to be exhibited before you would admit the individual in question was insane or evil ("evil" could also be labeled "extremely unethical" though they amount to much the same thing)?
I would just like to know what the bar is for people. I'm reading the above and I don't see how you don't see what I see.
Said reason (insanity) is also why I don't think it's worth the time discussing or attempting to predict what a crazy person will do. Putting out that fire as safely as possible is the only discussion worth pursuing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back