User Upper Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning a bitter to use up some odds and sods - see recipe below (or this link)

I'm pretty happy with the grain bill, except I might just replace all the MO with the remaining mild malt I have (1.5kg mild malt in total).

I'm not quite decided on the hops - I don't want to go buying anything more as the plan is to use what I've got, but I've a little more Simcoe and Amarillo than this.

I'm toying with adding the final Simcoe and Amarillo a tad earlier and then chucking in the first gold at flame out.

Other yeast options are 1028 or 1056 but I think 1275 will work best.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Matt

Screenshot_20190309-174609_Chrome.jpg

Just my two-penneth, but wouldn't you be better off saving the Simcoe and Amarillo for something more hop forward? I'm thinking that the yeast and hops might not complement each other fantastically. That said, it might be a stupendous beer!

Just my two-penneth, but wouldn't you be better off saving the Simcoe and Amarillo for something more hop forward? I'm thinking that the yeast and hops might not complement each other fantastically. That said, it might be a stupendous beer!
Hmm... A reasonable suggestion.....

I've used the Simcoe in a bitter before, with the 1275 yeast, and it was ok - I think the malts in this one will be more characterful.

And there's not much of anything of my hops left, hence I'm using them up - certainly not enough there to do an IPA justice

(actually I used most of my Simcoe, citra and Amarillo in a late hopped IPA which was flippin'amazing!)

Thanks for the input athumb..

Nope, it's literally a few grams (about 5g each) FG & EKG.

The only other hop I have is citra which doesn't really help (and I'm not sure I'm a big fan hence I never included it in the recipe)

The grain bill looks good, I especially like brown malt in bitter. :cool:

If it were me I'd have 10g of sincoe @ 60 mins, leave out the amerillo and have the goldings @ 10 mins i.e...

10g simcoe @ 60 mins
5g goldings @ 10 mins
5g first gold @ 5 mins

The grain bill looks good, I especially like brown malt in bitter. :cool:

If it were me I'd have 10g of sincoe @ 60 mins, leave out the amerillo and have the goldings @ 10 mins i.e...

10g simcoe @ 60 mins
5g goldings @ 10 mins
5g first gold @ 5 mins
Ooh, okay, interesting... aunsure....

As it happens I do have about 20g Simcoe so this could work. Will play with the numbers in BF and see what that does for my IBU's.

Weirdly, I don't think I mentioned brown malt in that recipe above - but I do have a little in stock and was already toying with adding a little (100g maybe) for colour and, well, just to see.

Hmm... Yes... Cheers for that... I like your thinking athumb..

Latest posts

Back