Using a 5l mini-keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not_so_brite

Reaction score
Would someone be so kind as to explain exactly how I should be setting up and using my 5l mini-keg, or point me in the right direction? I can't for the life of me find a full set of instructions that goes into much detail.

For reference, I'm using the kit from here: https://brewkegtap.co.uk/collection...s/5l-minikeg-party-kit?variant=22849203830865

So having recently finished fermenting my latest batch, I cleaned and sterilised the keg and added the wort there along with 16grams of sugar to naturally carbonate it.

I have closed the top with the ball lock lid which has the silicon dip tube attached on the inside.

But now what? I suppose I will need to leave it for at least two weeks to carbonate, which is fine. And then? Do I start by just attaching the party tap as there will be initial pressure in the keg to dispense? If I am keeping the keg in the fridge do I disconnect the tap and the CO2 regulator whenever I am not using it, or do I leave them both attached?

I am certainly very excited about using this as part of my set-up, as it was very much quicker and easier to put the wort there after fermentation, but as you can see I am rather clueless as to the actual specifics of this part of the operation!

I have made 23l batches and primed in a pressure barrel. Then I transfer to my 5L keg. I attach the CO2 and set a pressure of 10 to 15psi. It takes overnight to carb up the beer. You will be able to dispense some without adding gas but soon the pressure in the keg will start to drop. So you might as well attach the CO2 now. When dispensing I set the pressure to zero, especially near the end of the keg so as not to waste any gas. Then I set 10 to 15psi again and put it back in the fridge. It will carbonate better out of the fridge! 4C will kill most yeasts. Or forget adding priming sugar and just use the gas to carbonate it while in the fridge. My keg does not have the option to detach the gas or the tap so they stay on all the time.

I have made 23l batches and primed in a pressure barrel. Then I transfer to my 5L keg. I attach the CO2 and set a pressure of 10 to 15psi. It takes overnight to carb up the beer. You will be able to dispense some without adding gas but soon the pressure in the keg will start to drop. So you might as well attach the CO2 now. When dispensing I set the pressure to zero, especially near the end of the keg so as not to waste any gas. Then I set 10 to 15psi again and put it back in the fridge. It will carbonate better out of the fridge! 4C will kill most yeasts. Or forget adding priming sugar and just use the gas to carbonate it while in the fridge. My keg does not have the option to detach the gas or the tap so they stay on all the time.
Interesting. I came across this thread and wondered what your setup was? Are they the easy 5L kegs? I have fitted a tap to a coolbox and although I have a co2 source unsure if I’ll need it!

Attachments

• A10FC778-F1D6-45B2-B1A1-2F6B85DD0863.jpeg
    A10FC778-F1D6-45B2-B1A1-2F6B85DD0863.jpeg
    25.6 KB · Views: 85
Back